Telos

Level 15
Verified
Content Creator
I only see that volume popup when I use the fn key and vol up/dn (f11/f12). If I mouse wheel scroll the tray speaker icon, the volume changes without that window appearing (though a smaller horizontal window appears just above the tray).

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 22
Verified
Content Creator
Yes I found no native way or registry tweaks. There are two third party tools to disable and modify it but they need to be run in background continuously to work. Guess I'll have to just live with it, can't even report since MS won't care. Speed advantage over Chrome is a reason to still stick with it despite some of these issues.

Deletedmessiah

Level 22
Verified
Content Creator
Found 1st annoyance with Chromium Edge. Its in there in EdgeHTML version too. Anyone knows how to disable this thing: I don't know what its even called so google search was useless. Appears whenever you change volume, I only want volume bar not that huge black menu with play, previous, next. Considering how much I keep changing volume while watching videos, its a huge annoyance for me.
Solution if anyone else is annoyed by it, disable: chrome://flags/#hardware-media-key-handling
If something goes wrong, change back to default again..

silversurfer

Level 49
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Microsoft Edge Dev build 76.0.176.1.
  • Fixed an issue where the whole window sometimes goes blank or black when playing a video.
  • Fixed an issue where certain webpages hang as soon as they load.
  • Fixed an issue where the toggle to sync favorites is disabled even though the master sync toggle is turned on.
  • Fixed an issue where a “Microsoft Edge stopped working” dialog sometimes appears even though Edge is still running.
  • Fixed an issue where the wrong account picture is sometimes used when a user signs in with multiple accounts.
  • Fixed an issue where video control popups are cut off if they’re near the edge of the page.
  • Fixed an issue where video control buttons may overlap each other on small videos.
  • Fixed an issue where entries on the history page get cut off when the window is at a narrow width.
  • Increased the height of the rows in the address bar dropdown.
  • Fixed an issue where the first run experience didn’t render properly.

silversurfer

Level 49
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
The latest update to Edge Canary added New Tab Page options below “on Startup” section in Settings and provides more details about the customization options available for NTP.
For instance, the Focused setting, informs the user, choosing that enables search and most visited sites -” Just the basics-search and Quick links”
Inspirational Setting conveys choosing it brings “search, quick links, and a background picture to brighten up your day” to NTP.
By choosing Informational setting, New Tab Page will show search, news and weather and custom layout allow to choose from quick links, background picture, and news.
To see this change, in latest Edge Canary 76.0.183.0, click on Elipsis icon (…) > Settings > New tab page.

Local Host

Level 17
Verified

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Please read... You cannot change the search engine on NTP.
If you don't mind the disadvantages, try this temporary solution.
  1. Enable edge://flags/#use-edge-local-ntp.
  2. Typing will resume in omnibox (address bar) and with the default search engine.
  3. edge://settings/newTabPage changes will be disabled.

Although this is not available on ChromEdge Canary (purpose design choice?), with Chrome you can Hide the NTP Fake(search)box chrome://flags/#remove-ntp-fakebox

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff member
Today we released build 76.0.182.6 to the Microsoft Edge Dev Channel. This is our very first update for the Mac Dev Channel, and as you can see below, we’re now including Mac changes in our release notes. Some of the fixes and improvements that we believe are significant enough to mention include:

Changes in feature behavior or appearance:

• Added the number of additional tabs present in the window title.
  • Fixed an issue where the + button to open new tabs is invisible.
  • Fixed an issue where corrupted characters appeared in certain parts of the UI like the address bar dropdown or the … menu.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking quickly on the X on entries on the history page would open them instead of deleting them.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking the “Remove All” button to remove all cookies doesn’t do anything.
  • Fixed an issue where the order of user profiles differed between the user flyout and the list in Settings.
  • Fixed an issue where signing out of user profiles didn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where favorites sometimes don’t sync to other machines.
  • Fixed an issue where the Read Aloud bar sometimes takes a long time to appear.
  • Fixed an issue where entries on the history or download pages overlap at narrow window widths.

Fixes for better reliability and security:

• Fixed an issue where switching between user profiles sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where sending feedback from a webpage that had crashed sometimes crashes the whole browser.
  • Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes hangs when it’s closed.
  • Updated to the latest version of Adobe Flash Player (32.0.0.207).

Mac-specific changes:

• Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes doesn’t launch.
  • Fixed an issue where video controls remained on the Touch Bar after leaving the page with the video.
  • Fixed an issue where refreshing the settings page caused certain UI buttons to appear to be disabled.
  • Fixed an issue where menu text can appear white on white in certain situations.

Thank you all for being an insider, and a special thanks to all of our Mac users over the past few weeks for helping us get our Mac builds stable enough to release to the Dev Channel. Keep sending us that feedback!

silversurfer

Level 49
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Kyle Pflug, who is part of the Microsoft Edge team, confirmed on Twitter that the company is already developing a feature that would block media that begins playing automatically on page load.
The behavior will be available either as a global feature, which means all auto-playing media will be blocked, or as part of a per-site rule, giving users more control over the content they want to block.
“We’re working on adding a global and per-site setting similar to what we have in the current version of Edge,” he said on Twitter.

oldschool

Level 30
Verified
From our friends on Ghacks:
What are members' views on this question? My first thought is to skip it as the Devs are thinking, but having one built-in might help it to gain popularity. The tone of the article is very clear that they are taking this mission seriously, to build a popular and secure browser. I for one would like to see it compete with Chrome and Firefox so I'd like to know what you all think.