Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft's newest tool to improve your writing is available on Edge and Chrome:
Just a day after Microsoft announced a major upgrade to Microsoft Editor, you can grab extensions for the service on Edge and Chrome. Microsoft Editor reviews your writing and checks for spelling and grammatical errors. If you have a Microsoft 365 account, it also gives you advanced grammar and style suggestions. A help and support page from Microsoft spells out all of the details.
Microsoft showed off Microsoft Editor in a new video and discussed it in an online briefing. Microsoft Editor is similar to Grammarly. It has a free version that you can use just by having a Microsoft account and premium features that you gain access to if you have a Microsoft 365 subscription.

Using Microsoft Editor is straightforward. Once downloaded, you log into your Microsoft account and get either free or premium features depending on your account. You can toggle settings for checking spelling, grammar, and suggesting refinements. You can also exclude sites from Microsoft Editor. Showing synonyms for spelling suggestions is off by default, but you can check a box to turn it on. You can also select if you want Microsoft to use data from your use of the service to improve Microsoft's products.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft’s Grammarly-killer Microsoft Editor is now available to download for Chrome and Edge:
Editor's spelling, grammar, and refinement availability by language:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've noticed two issues on my browser:
  • Refinements is greyed out (cannot toggle on/off)
  • Privacy opt-out does not save setting
Details for troubleshoot:
Windows 10 64-bit V1909 - Microsoft Edge v80 - Microsoft Editor 1.81.5 (Logged in without O365 subscription) - Disabled browser's built-in Check Spelling.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I've noticed two issues on my browser:
  • Refinements is greyed out (cannot toggle on/off)
  • Privacy opt-out does not save setting
Details for troubleshoot:
Windows 10 64-bit V1909 - Microsoft Edge v80 - Microsoft Editor 1.81.5 (Logged in without O365 subscription) - Disabled browser's built-in Check Spelling.
Maybe you need to be logged in with a O365 subscription for that:
When you install the extension, a dimmed Editor icon is added to your browser's toolbar. Click the icon and sign in with the account you use for Office, or sign in with your free Microsoft account (For information about accounts, see What account do I use with Office and why do I need one?).
No problem here, but the privacy opt-out activates back when you change language.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

So this add-on isn't useful without O365?
I don't have any office license

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
So this add-on isn't useful without O365?
I don't have any office license
I don't know if you have a Microsoft account (Hotmail, Live or Outlook)?
You can use that too:
When you install the extension, a dimmed Editor icon is added to your browser's toolbar. Click the icon and sign in with the account you use for Office, or sign in with your free Microsoft account (For information about accounts, see What account do I use with Office and why do I need one?).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.