Battle Microsoft EMET vs Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit vs HitmanPro. Alert - Free versions

• Thread starter Deleted Member 333v73x
  • Start date

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
As far as I know, the free version of HMP.A does not have the feature of anti-exploit, but still reserves the other features such as secure browsing. Following is a picture posted by @Azure Phoenix in the thread Anti Exploit Battle: Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit vs HitmanPro.Alert , which compares the difference between different versions of HMP.A. Please note that the features marked by the symbol "$" are only available in the paid version:

hmpa-version-comparison-png.246705

So, if you are looking for a free anti-exploit product, maybe you have to choose one from MBAE and EMET.

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
Sadly I agree, the paid HMP.A is my favourite anti-exploit, but once the trial period runs out it does nothing if you do not pay=(

Great product, but MBAE free is very good for free if you just want browser coverage. I have never messed with EMET myself.

I think @Umbra once rated the free and paid versions as HMPA > MBAE Premium > EMET > MBAE Free

Feel free to correct the hierarchy if I got it wrong or incomplete @Umbra

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
If you are paying I'd go for HMPA personally. I was in the same boat and had to choose between paying for one or the other at the end of the year myself. MBAE premium is a bigger company but HMPA covers a lot more, like adding crypto protection and a bunch of goodies on top of the anti-exploit protection. Plus the HMPA license lets you also use HMP on demand scanner fully. I think the free version does not do actual malware removals unless you pay.

The only worry with HMPA is they got bought out by Sophos so who knows what the long term plans are. For now they continue as usual.

EDIT: For free I agree with @Solarlynx below, MBAE Free.

Last edited:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
If you are paying I'd go for HMPA personally. I was in the same boat and had to choose between paying for one or the other at the end of the year myself. MBAE premium is a bigger company but HMPA covers a lot more, like adding crypto protection and a bunch of goodies on top of the anti-exploit protection.

The only worry with HMPA is they got bought out by Sophos so who knows what the long term plans are. For now they continue as usual.

I'm in the same boat as you. But if I have only Free as an option then it would be EMET.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I like MalwareBytes Anti Exploit Free better, in my experience it is lighter and trouble free compared to EMET and HMPA.

Hitman Pro Alert is a complete mitigation tool but it impacts my browsing speed and interface response so I dont use it anymore (but I like it), MBAE doesnt have any sistem impact at all and it is a simple "install and forget" experience.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I think @Umbra once rated the free and paid versions as HMPA Premium > MBAE Premium > EMET > MBAE Free

this is correct.

Is it better than MBAE premium? I don't mind switching too free one.

check above

How is EMET's user friendliness compared to HMPA and MBAE's set and forget usage?

more complicated at beginning, need to be learned.

I like MalwareBytes Anti Exploit Free better, in my experience it is lighter and trouble free compared to EMET and HMPA.

MBAE free can't be better than EMET...

What is better against toxic chemicals: a free gas mask or a paid full anti-biohazard suit?

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Installed EMET ytd and trying out. I can say the UI is very confusing for me. HMPA is much better IMHO followed by MBAE.

Damn alright might just stick with MBAE for the time being, shall begin reading up on other guides on how to properly configure EMET because I ma thinking of changing to that too!

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Umbra said:
MBAE free can't be better than EMET...

What is better against toxic chemicals: a free gas mask or a paid full anti-biohazard suit?

Why it cant be? MBAE isnt all about mitigation like EMET, it has the "layer 4 - Application behavior protection".

"Layer 4 Application behavior protection Blocks sandbox escapes such as Java exploits, as well as exploits that abuse weak application design in Word, PowerPoint, and others. Last defense against exploits that bypass memory corruption mitigation."

The hook engine from MBAE is "faster" than EMET, so applications doesnt have startup problems and MBAE is much more ease to use, you dont need to configure anything and dont risk to messup.

What I like MBAE most is that it is "maintenance-free" ...

More info here:

https://pt.malwarebytes.org/pdf/datasheets/MBAEBDatasheet.pdf

While EMET is great and can mitigate more applications it isnt better than MBAE (it protects the essential for free anyway).

If one wants to mitigate every application outhere MBAE premium is always a option ...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.