Microsoft Ending Support for Windows 7, 8, & Older Apps in the Microsoft Forums

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Over the weekend, Microsoft announced that starting on July 1st 2018 they are no longer offering support for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and a wide variety of older applications in the Microsoft Community forums. This does not mean that volunteers will not be able to answer questions, only that Microsoft staff themselves will no longer respond to them.
The announcement posted to the Microsoft Community forums states:
As you can see all of the products mentioned are old with mainstream support already ended. Therefore, it does not come as a surprise to see Microsoft assigning their staff to responding to questions for newer products that are still under full support.
At BleepingComputer, we are still offering support for all of these products in our forums, except maybe Zune. Just kidding, we'll even help with that Z thing :)

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
^^ no, Microsoft will still provide updates/security updates for windows 7 and windows 8.1. As fas as i know the support (OS updates including security updates) will end in 2 years (win 7) and in 5 years (win8.1).

Aerdian

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2018
They should have ended 8 and 8.1 support before they were even released :ROFLMAO: And regarding that "Z thing," I actually used it as my music player until it started crashing...Then I switched to Groove, which I don't even like that much. At least it's better than iTunes.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
They should have ended 8 and 8.1 support before they were even released :ROFLMAO: And regarding that "Z thing," I actually used it as my music player until it started crashing...Then I switched to Groove, which I don't even like that much. At least it's better than iTunes.
Zune.

iTunes from the Windows 10 Store works a breeze. Installs in second. No bloatware; QuickTime, Bonjour or Apple Software Updater that tries to push iCloud for Windows.

IMO - As more use their mobile devices for everything, I don't think a dedicated music player is needed for the average consumers. Some desktop apps like Spotify and Steam can scan your music folders.

Aerdian

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2018
Zune.

iTunes from the Windows 10 Store works a breeze. Installs in second. No bloatware; QuickTime, Bonjour or Apple Software Updater that tries to push iCloud for Windows.

IMO - As more use their mobile devices for everything, I don't think a dedicated music player is needed for the average consumers. Some desktop apps like Spotify and Steam can scan your music folders.

I know the "Z thing" was Zune. I just said it that way because it was the way @LASER_oneXM said it :) I was unaware there was a Windows Store version of iTunes. I think I'll check it out. I have Apple Music, so iTunes is important to me, but, since I don't like iTunes, I end up just finding music on YouTube when I'm on my desktop :( I've always found the iOS version to be fine, but desktop iTunes is horrendous.
Thanks for letting me know about the Windows Store iTunes version :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.