Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I never used IE, Edge or Chrome. Because they were all shite. And still are. Google having absolute 100% monopoly with Chromium engine is their wet dream and we shouldn't allow it under any circumstances.
From security perspective Firefox is not fast to adapt new technology. It took Firefox 5 years to implement low integrity rights. It took them a long time to move to a safer add-on environment. Mozilla's move to Rust programming language is really an advantage (compared to Chrome using C++), because Rust manages its own abstractions (meaning it is impossible to accidentally access a memory location that is outside the boundaries allocated and will be automatically de-allocated after use). Only on Vista/Windows7 Firefox would be my browser of choice in terms of security.

There is a difference between browser, render and java script. Chrome uses Chromium browser, Blink render engine and V8 Java script engine. Blink is a fork of WebKit engine (also used by Apple for Safari).

The chromium stable compiled version on Woolyss also offers a de-googled version. You can check that the 1-on-1 Chromium version is always earlier available as the de-googled version. Even the Chromium 1-on-1 is probably a better choice in terms of privacy than the Chrome browsers because it lacks the 'added features' of Google.

Opera and Yandex use Chromium. As far as I understand the info correctly Edge will not be using Chromium (like Yandex and Opera), but it will use Blink renderer and Java script V8 engine. Please correct me when wrong. So this would be like Mozilla was dropping the Servo (renderer) engine in favour of Blink.

When all browsers would use Blink and V8, the implementation of new standards by the W3C would probably be faster, so from this perspective the M$ engineer remarks contain some validity (not entirely because Apple should drop Webkit for Blink).

Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Besides, Firefox is an amazing browser and I can't understand why the hell people like garbage Chrome so much. What's so good about it? It needs gazillion extensions to become even half usable and when you do that it's a big fat pig that eats bazillion megabytes of RAM, it's only really fast in raw javascript tests where all it does is throw JS around. On actual real webpages with mixed content that needs to render, it always felt sluggish and slow. And god its retarded interface and design decisions..

Yea. My experience has been that Gecko browsers can handle an amazing amount of tabs, but if I accumulate more than 2 or 3 tabs on Chrome it becomes as sluggish as a Brontosaurus. For those of you have good experiences with Chrome, fine. But you don't speak for everybody.

L

Local Host

How people can still trust Firefox with closed eyes is beyond me, the last updates that affect user privacy and choice, not to mention Mozilla is in bed with Google.

Resource usage is constantly mentioned as well, and quite honestly Firefox numbers where never impressive and in some instances consumes more resources than Chrome.

Is a waste of time to argue about this, if people wanna use Firefox it's their choice. Still remember back in the day when IE dominating the market, and the folk where defending Firefox the same way they are now, even though Firefox was an even bigger mess (constant crashes and memory leaks).

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I use Firefox because since Quantum it has performed better than Chrome for me in 2 systems, not because of nonsense privacy reasons. It now uses more resources than Chrome but if you have 8GB of RAM or more, it wouldn't matter.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Google is a household word, it's so much more than its browser, which helps to cement Chrome first in a lot of minds. Google is an incredibly diverse offering--check out Google Energy. for example. I'm amazed at how Mozilla (which is primarily focused on its various browsers) can and still does compete head-to-head with the vast wealth and brainpower that is Alphabet.

I find Microsoft a little traitorous here, especially with all those assets of its own. But obviously, we don't have the biggest picture, probably only a little tiny snapshot. Browser-wise, assets would be flowing from one behemoth to another, while the little guys keep trying to stay with heads above water, as usual.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
How people can still trust Firefox with closed eyes is beyond me, the last updates that affect user privacy and choice, not to mention Mozilla is in bed with Google.

Like what? And only thing they are in bed with Google is that they default to their search engine. If you use any other, it's like they don't exist. I also don't know what privacy concerns are greater than those imposed by Google which are just terrifying.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Firefox replaced Yahoo in the US as search engine in 2017 (going back to Google again). Yahoo paid something between 375 to 500 million dollar to Mozilla in 2014 and thought they had a deal for five years

According to insiders (I can't find the link anymore) the money was not the main reason to go back to Google, the brand enforcement (Google has better reputation than Yahoo among average consumers) and technological knowledge transfer was more important.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Re: Mozilla switching back to Google search: That was also around the time Verizon finalized the deal to acquire Yahoo, plus its CEO stepped down. That had to have been a factor. Why Verizon wanted Yahoo so desperately is still a mystery to me. I don't see anything earth-shattering two years later Yahoo-wise.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@Local Host for the first part i should have made it more clear.
Stick with HTML engine or move to Quantum not to Blink.
As for the 2nd part in my opinion MS could offer lets say Edge Lite to W7 users so they could have a good look of the HTML engine
and advertise the benefits of using Edge on W10.
And for last W10 has surpassed W7 just the past few months.
For me all the previous months are wasted since W7 users couldn't use Edge.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.