Microsoft gives parents peace of mind with new family features across devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
We live in a time of both great opportunity and great responsibility. Our children have access to more information, entertainment and more ways to connect than ever before, but with that comes plenty of new things that parents like you and I need to worry about and new ways to distract their attention. Today, we are excited to introduce new features that make it easier and safer for families to interact with technology and, each other, across devices and platforms.

Creating tools and features that empower both parents and kids has always been an important part of our work and is becoming increasingly vital, not only to us as a business, but to us as individuals – parents, aunts and uncles, siblings and friends. As a mother to a young and curious daughter, I deeply understand the need for tools to help balance the use of technology in the home as well as out of the home. It’s especially near and dear to me as leader of a team building experiences for mobile devices. We emphasize the idea of transparency as a guiding principle for these new experiences. Today, I am happy to share new features that will help create greater transparency between parent and child, as well as between Microsoft and parents in what to expect from our tools.

Updates to Microsoft Launcher for Android

We’re bringing new features to the popular Microsoft Launcher app for Android with two new mobile experiences, currently in preview, that give parents more peace of mind for their family and a look at your child’s activity across their devices – Windows 10 PCs, Xbox One devices, and now their Android phone.

With Microsoft Launcher installed on your family’s Android devices and a Microsoft family group of accounts set up, parents can:

• Stay up to date on kids’ whereabouts. At home and on the go, you can use Microsoft Launcher to get an update on your kids’ location and rest easier knowing they are safely where they should be. You can see your child’s (or children’s) last known location and time.
  • Be aware of which apps your kids are using. Check in on your kids’ app activity on their Android device, including which apps are accessed and time spent on each app. With Xbox One or a Windows 10 PC set up in your family portal, you can also view their activities on those devices through Microsoft Launcher.

Microsoft Launcher is the only launcher that gives parents this visibility across Android, Windows 10, and Xbox One devices. Children and parents always have the option to toggle features off and on at any time and, best of all, it’s free. If you have a Microsoft family group, you can install Microsoft Launcher on your family’s Android devices. If you don’t have a family group set up yet, it’s easy – here’s how.

Site blocking in Microsoft Edge for Android

With Microsoft Edge, the ability to allow or block websites has always existed on your PCs. Now, we are extending this feature to you and your family’s Android devices. If you have set up a Microsoft family group, any websites you have already tagged as allowed or blocked for your kid(s) will carry the same settings as they try to access websites in Microsoft Edge on their Android devices. The update will begin rolling out today.

ba2afbec08ff1e925ccd8d0303238e89.gif

MSN Kids brings curated, kid-friendly news to the web

We are also excited to announce MSN Kids, currently in preview, a curated news site created specifically for children in the elementary and middle school age group. We saw a need for a place for kids to learn about the world in a safe, trustworthy and fun environment. The site offers editorially curated, age-appropriate news and features from partner publishers such as Time for Kids, Popular Science, Sports Illustrated for Kids, National Geographic, and USA TODAY.

Content is kid-friendly and helps children find things of interest to stay engaged, learn, and have fun – with no sponsored content or advertising. Kids can learn about animals, the world around them, kids like them doing interesting things around the globe and more. When using Microsoft Edge, kids can also use pen and read aloud to engage with puzzles or assist with reading articles. Check out the preview today at msnkids.com.

Family experiences across devices and platforms

These new experiences are the next step in a long history of creating products, features, and settings with families in mind, spanning gaming to mobile to PC and the web.

These are just some of the many great features across our devices and services that empower families with peace of mind, tools to learn, grow and, of course, have fun. More information can be found at this page. Please download Microsoft Launcher and Microsoft Edge for Android and give the new features a try. We look forward to hearing your feedback so we can empower you with the best tools to create the safest, most productive and fun experiences for our families.

The post Microsoft gives parents peace of mind with new family features across devices appeared first on Windows Experience Blog.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Personal I dislike this as why not go all in and use GPS implants so when the kids gets abducted/kidnapped parents can feel much safer or maybe acting like a normal parent and actually start listen and talk to the kids and stop constant using technique as a babysitter also works. Books, ever heard of them? They normaly work wonders and especially if used together with children. Read for the kids ( you and not the damn TV or some software on the PC, tablet or the phone ) when they grow up covers alot as a parent and I highly recommend it. :coffee:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Personal I dislike this as why not go all in and use GPS implants so when the kids gets abducted/kidnapped parents can feel much safer or maybe acting like a normal parent and actually start listen and talk to the kids and stop constant using technique as a babysitter also works. Books, ever heard of them? They normaly work wonders and especially if used together with children. Read for the kids ( you and not the damn TV or some software on the PC, tablet or the phone ) when they grow up covers alot as a parent and I highly recommend it. :coffee:
Based on my own perspective on technology:

You're forgetting that no one uses 'a Windows phone' (incl. W10M).

For Microsoft to stay mainstream, they need to keep developing, updating and supporting their existing popular Apps on Android/iOS. Both iPhones and Android devices are wildly popular because it's what consumers want (brand, design, features and hardware-wise).

By adapting Windows 10, Office, Bing and Xbox services into iPhone and Android, users will eventually have their smartphone linked to a Windows 10 PC. And Microsoft can keep pushing more features without needing W10M.

Who dominates the desktop computer market? Does everyone own a MacBook (probably not on MWT), or a Chromebook for Gaming?

Also see Microsoft's other acquisitions, like GitHub, Mixer for Xbox (alt. to YouTube/Twitch), SwiftKey (alt. Android keyboard) and even their own Linux subsystem for Windows 10.

Feel free to disagree.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
You're forgetting that no one uses 'a Windows phone' (incl. W10M).
qS2snCIe_o.jpg
My Lumia 930 lays right beside me and works just fine and for some odd reson MS still sends updates. Been close many times the last year buying a new one and been very curious on Nokia 6 but my Lumia 930 still works so I don't see the point. Will ofcourse happen but not just now. :giggle:

I fully agree that MS needs developing and I'm not anti-tech but personal I dont like trace features on kids and I have my doubts the kids also likes them but guess no one really ask or talk with them even if I know it's legal. " Gives parents peace of mind " I find that specific statement plain wrong. When bad things happens it normaly happens within a split second. Parents has IMO a general over tendency of belief on tech and that it actually will save kids. In my ears and eyes this sounds and looks more as a relief/protection for the parents then the actual kids and I'm well aware that it's a socalled salepitch. Nothing wrong with that in itself but what it's supposed to be used for ( trace kids ) is what I dislike and disagree with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weebarra
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.