Microsoft has stopped the spread of Windows Update 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809)

military

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 13, 2012
October 6, Microsoft has disabled the ability to manually install Windows Update 10 October 2018 Update through Windows Update. Version 1809 is also unavailable for installation using the Media Creation Tool and the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant.
2018-04-13_16-38-201.png

On October 2, Microsoft announced that Windows Update 10 October 2018 Update is available for manual download. Users could install Windows 10 (version 1809) by manually checking for updates on Windows Update, as well as using the Media Creation Tool and the Windows 10 Update Assistant .
Distribution update Windows 10 October 2018 Update has stopped
On October 6, all the official ways to manually upgrade to Windows 10 (version 1809) stopped working.
  • When you try to check the update manually in Windows 10 (version 1803), by selecting Check for updates in the Options> Update and Security menu, the Update to Windows 10 function, version 1809 is not detected.
  • When trying to launch the Media Creation Tool version - MediaCreationTool1809.exe in Windows 10 (version 1803), the utility reports:

2018-10-06_0224.png

Download the latest version. A newer version of this tool is available. To continue, you need to download and run the latest version.​

• When you go to the official website via the link Download the updated media creation tool , the old version of the tool is downloaded - MediaCreationTool1803.exe.
  • The Upgrade Advisor to Windows 10 when running on Windows 10 (version 1803) also reports that you already have the latest version of the system.

2018-10-06_0225.png

• The ability to download ISO images of Windows 10 October 2018 Update has also been removed from the official Microsoft website.
The reasons for cancellation are not yet known.
So far, no official information has been received from Microsoft, but this may be due to problems and errors encountered by users after the installation of the October 2018 Update, including the problem of deleting user files after upgrading to the new version.
Recall that Microsoft planned to begin the automatic deployment of Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) through Windows Update for all supported systems - October 9. Perhaps now the plans will change.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update info.
Official announcement:
"We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating. " https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history

P.S News translated by google translator. Original in russian language.

Last edited:

So much for @Local Host 's assertion that there is nothing wrong with Windows 10 upgrades and it is always the user and the 3rd party software that causes the upgrade problems.

Pulling the upgrade is an implicit admission by Microsoft that the problem is Microsoft, and not anyone else.

It has just become a common sense to me to wait for weeks before upgrading to new major version of M$ Win stuffs :sneaky:

Delay Windows 10 updates via the Settings GUI if you have Pro. Otherwise, disable the Windows update service and wait until it is all sorted out.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Delay Windows 10 updates via the Settings GUI if you have Pro. Otherwise, disable the Windows update service and wait until it is all sorted out.

Good enterprise environments always delay updates, a week at minimum, a month if you are smart. It's rarely a good idea to push updates right away. The old saying with Fortinet Firmware updates is WAIT for a new series to mature to the 4th or 5th build before installing it. That is, 5.6.5 was the first honestly stable one. 6.0.2 is out, don't even think about it until 6.0.4..

It's good practice to not rush updates.

D

Deleted member 178

I had a minor but annoying bug, even on clean install.. So I hope it will be fixed with the next update.

Reactions: brambedkar59

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
If you wait for the update to install automatically, there will be few issues, you all know this, if you want to give it a spin then do a serious backup and enjoy the experience without regret, then you could post your experience to the benefit of all of us.

military

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 13, 2012
Well what to do now? Stay on 1809 or go back? I guess there would a be a new CU to fix those issues?
I would stay. I think that on tuesday there will be a patch that fixes many problems. For example, I am sure that the problem with the task manager will definitely be fixed. It is already fixed in Windows 10 Insider Preview 18252.1000 (19H1).

palwan

Level 1
Sep 28, 2018
hmn, the exact same issue with creating media tool and build in upgrade happened to me with older version of window 10 as well and those I have tried to upgrade after reasonable time of win 10 release date not on release week.

The problem I found was with usb stick I was using, hard formatting and changing the usb slot fix it, and the exact same thing happened yesterday.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.