Microsoft imposes Windows 10 automatic updates, whether you like it or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sinu

Thread author
In past versions of Windows, Microsoft has allowed users to configure how they want operating system updates to be delivered. Those looking for the ultimate protection configure Windows Update to automatically install them, while others may, accidentally or not, disable the feature or postpone installing any updates for a very, very long time. I have seen systems that last had updates installed years before I was asked to troubleshoot them.

With Windows 10, however, Microsoft is taking matters into its own hands, by making automatic updates mandatory. This applies to both home and business users, unless the latter group turns to dedicated tools that allow them to have more control over how updates are installed. Basically, you have to go out of your way to keep Windows 10 out of date.

The most up to date Windows 10 licensing agreement, from build 10240, says the following:

Updates. The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.

Microsoft has confirmed that this will, indeed, be the case going forward, with a company spokesperson saying that "The license terms for Windows 10 require Automatic Updates be enabled as a part of keeping our customers secure and delivering Windows as a service". As I said before, it will be possible for some users to tweak this behavior, but I believe it will be limited to enterprises, which naturally want more control over such things.

Personally, I welcome Microsoft's approach, as, based on my experience, there are plenty of Windows users who need to be protected against themselves. Some can be so ill-informed that they will disable Windows Update simply because they do not want to deal with the notifications that pop up when their systems have not been updated in a long time. They will expose their systems and personal data without realizing it, then they will blame Microsoft or other parties for the performance of their system.

Of course, Microsoft can expect some Windows users to have a problem with this. There are legitimate cases when having Windows Update download lots of updates can interfere with certain tasks, but, for the average user, this should not be a problem. It can also be argued that some updates need to be "proven" before they are applied, but, again, times when such issues occur can be very rare.

Another thing to note is that, by making automatic updates mandatory, Microsoft will be making it easier to keep users' systems current after releasing major Windows 10 updates, not just minor updates and security fixes. If, for instance, there will be a Windows 10.1 in the foreseeable future, it could be possible to have it automatically install right after being made available.

Such an approach would make it possible to avoid the Windows 8.x update disaster, where there are still lots of users -- 2.9 percent of all PC users, to be exact, which is more than Windows Vista has -- running Windows 8 despite Windows 8.1 being offered as a free upgrade. This is a problem that Microsoft does not want to deal with again, if it is possible to avoid it (and it is), because it hurts it in the long run.

Reactions: souhrid and jim lin

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
thank you sinu

here is more info on this

Windows 10: You'll get UPDATES LIKE IT or NOT – unless you have Enterprise Edition
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/0...it_or_not_unless_you_have_enterprise_edition/

Windows 10 Pro users would not be able to delay updates indefinitely without serious consequences either.

If Pro users don't install certain updates within eight months of release, they won't be able to install security updates anymore after that time period.

all i can say is WOW and lmao

Windows Insider program users (guinea pigs) will get the updates first and die one by one who can't see this coming lol

:)

James

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Seems like Nazi rule, they r forcing their laws. wut if one of update messed with ur PC?? Did Microsoft will take responsibility.
People don't update PC from xp or from window 7 to 8. their this trick will help them in future, if a new window version will avilable it will update automatic i guess.

Reactions: souhrid

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
when big updates will be released the only issue we'll (in my country) have to face that we won't be able to work on our laptops as internet will become slow here, we won't have choice to update OS in our leisure timings.

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
when big updates will be released the only issue we'll (in my country) have to face that we won't be able to work on our laptops as internet will become slow here, we won't have choice to update OS in our leisure timings.

I'm sure that for their sake, if not for yours, MS will load-balance their servers?

Will there be a charge for uploading from windows 8 to 10?

No charge for 7 or 8 to upgrade. Don't like giving more control to MS though, myself.

Reactions: Tani

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Of course Microsoft want to reach something in target which why forcing to upgrade, as long they will strongly prove the almost perfection of OS then that should not be the problem.

They give already those terms and conditions on possible Windows 10 upgrade, however its up to you for not having plans to upgrade by removing the GWX plugin.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
- security wise this is a move that should be made aeons ago...

- usability wise , it is so so

- privacy wise , you get screw :D

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
But by the way on metered connections we won't have to worry for automatic updates, ain't it? If we change our connection into metered via settings we won't be getting automatic updates anymore (based on my hypothesis)

Reactions: Rolo

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I personally am not upgrading, but to impose automatic updates is totally wrong, they just want people to buy the pro versions. If I did change to Windows 10 I'd buy the Pro, so I could stop the automatic download for a few hours, not too sure how long you can postpone the download.

I would have thought, with problems that have arose in the past, updates causing critical errors, Microsoft would keep the same settings, so if people did report BSOD's for corrupt system files they can withdraw the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.