Microsoft is building a Chromium-powered web browser that will replace Edge on Windows 10

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Source: Microsoft is building a Chromium-powered web browser that will replace Edge on Windows 10

Microsoft's Edge web browser has seen little success since its debut on Windows 10 back in 2015. Built from the ground up with a new rendering engine known as EdgeHTML, Microsoft Edge was designed to be fast, lightweight, and secure, but launched with a plethora of issues which resulted in users rejecting it early on. Edge has since struggled to gain any traction, thanks to its continued instability and lack of mindshare, from users and web developers.

Because of this, I'm told that Microsoft is throwing in the towel with EdgeHTML and is instead building a new web browser powered by Chromium, a rendering engine first popularized by Google's Chrome browser. Codenamed Anaheim, this new web browser for Windows 10 will replace Edge as the default browser on the platform. It's unknown at this time if Anaheim will use the Edge brand or a new brand, or if the user interface between Edge and Anaheim is different. One thing is for sure, however; EdgeHTML in Windows 10's default browser is dead.

Many will be happy to hear that Microsoft is finally adopting a different rendering engine for the default web browser on Windows 10. Using Chromium means websites should behave just like they do on Google Chrome in Microsoft's new Anaheim browser, meaning users shouldn't suffer from the same instability and performance issues found in Edge today. This is the first step towards revitalizing Windows 10's built-in web browser for users across PC and phone. Edge on iOS and Android already use rendering engines native to those platforms, so not much will be changing on that front.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Just to make it clear, the article says that Microsoft is planning to move away from the "EdgeHTML" rendering engine, not that it will discontinue the Edge browser, or that they will just ship Windows without any built in browser.
There will still be an Edge browser, which we can all use, however it will have a different pair of "glasses" to read/show the web pages (rendering engine).

Many will be happy to hear that Microsoft is finally adopting a different rendering engine for the default web browser on Windows 10. Using Chromium means websites should behave just like they do on Google Chrome in Microsoft's new Anaheim browser, meaning users shouldn't suffer from the same instability and performance issues found in Edge today. This is the first step towards revitalizing Windows 10's built-in web browser for users across PC and phone. Edge on iOS and Android already use rendering engines native to those platforms, so not much will be changing on that front.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
About time, since their android release were using blink engine..

But i really like edge ui on android services, so i would take the new microsoft browser over edge any day

Good move by MS, then the new Edge browser would finally be competitive.
But one thing I appreciate of Edge is its lightness; I've updated Chrome to the latest version and it seems quite slower at opening
So I hope Edge will not become heavy like Chrome.
For me chromium have always been the lightest, microsoft edges extension support is just something lame. As long as you run edge without extensions its suberb

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
Microsoft is throwing in the towel with Edge and is building a new web browser for Windows 10, this time powered by Chromium.

Reactions: AlanOstaszewski

tsunami

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2018
MS Edge will have access to Google Safe Browsing? plus its own Smartscreen?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.