Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Microsoft Is Finally Killing Off Forced Reboots in Windows 10

One of the changes that Microsoft is making in Windows 10 with the upcoming Creators Update is giving users more control over the updates they install, finally killing off forced reboots once and for all.

In the past, Windows computers automatically rebooted to complete the installation of certain updates, and this was undoubtedly frustrating not only for home users, but also for enterprises where a system restart interrupted work all of a sudden.

Starting with the Windows 10 Creators Update, Microsoft is introducing a snoozing update feature that makes it possible for users to pause a specific update for up to 3 days and thus find the most convenient time for installing it.

Options to pause updates have already been implemented in Windows 10 Creators Update preview builds, and Microsoft says it’s all because users want more control over the updates they install.

“Prior to the Creators Update, Windows 10 made most of the decisions for you regarding when updates would be installed and didn’t provide ways to tailor the timing to your specific needs. What we heard back most explicitly was that you want more control over when Windows 10 installs updates. We also heard that unexpected reboots are disruptive if they happen at the wrong time,” John Cable, Director of Program Management within the Windows Servicing and Delivery (WSD) team, said.

More options
In addition to the snooze option, Microsoft is also offering more options for Active Hours, again enabling users to choose the best time for installing an update.

A new icon also made its way to Windows Update, so you’ll easily know if your system is fully up-to-date without actually pressing the “Check for updates” button.

All these options will be shipped to users in the Creators Update, which according to sources is projected to see daylight in April. They are already available in preview builds, and anyone can install them by joining the Windows Insider program, but these releases include bugs and issues that don’t typically exist in stable Windows versions.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Strange, I have used Windows 10 practically since released and never experienced this...

Thanks for the share!

Reactions: frogboy

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I generally ignore reboot requests. Instead I've killed and restarted explorer.exe.. that seemed to keep my OS (8.1) happy. Have I been wrong to do this?

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I generally ignore reboot requests. Instead I've killed and restarted explorer.exe.. that seemed to keep my OS (8.1) happy. Have I been wrong to do this?
Refreshing explorer.exe really it is not as a reboot :)
The reboot sends a stop signal followed by a start, so that the components don't shut down completely. It is like the blow of the end of the stroke of the carriage of the writing machine: it does not remove the sheet, but makes space to continue working.

Reboot is useful when you install Windows updates or some apps and antivirus that need to formalize registry keys, files, enable new processes, etc.

Last edited:

Hadden

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
They brought back also manual updates with CU?
I mean the option "check for updates, but let me decide when download&install them".
On previous versions, a reg edit (or a policy) is need to do that :D

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
They made me switch to CU (which is slower and 10x buggier than AU) because I thought this was the last time I will ever have to reboot. LOL Good one, Microsoft. Good one. :D:D:D:D

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
They made me switch to CU (which is slower and 10x buggier than AU) because I thought this was the last time I will ever have to reboot. LOL Good one, Microsoft. Good one. :D:D:D:D
Who told you that? :D

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Who told you that? :D
Experience using the two side by side. Anniversary Update is snappier, less buggy UI.
-Lots of things in the background that used to work in AU no longer work in CU.
-I also have reason to believe that CU just downright ignores some of my group policy settings especially those for Windows Defender.
-A BUNCH of things are broken in task scheduler. And regarding errors, just check the Event Viewer.
-Programs don't properly close when you log out.
-A plenty of graphical glitches
-Strange and random slow downs.
-BSOD during antivirus scans over protected Windows log files. :D

All in all, I can't wait for the Fall Creators Update.

Reactions: Vasudev and Azure

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Experience using the two side by side. Anniversary Update is snappier, less buggy UI.
-Lots of things in the background that used to work in AU no longer work in CU.
-I also have reason to believe that CU just downright ignores some of my group policy settings especially those for Windows Defender.
-A BUNCH of things are broken in task scheduler. And regarding errors, just check the Event Viewer.
-Programs don't properly close when you log out.
-A plenty of graphical glitches
-Strange and random slow downs.
-BSOD during antivirus scans over protected Windows log files. :D

All in all, I can't wait for the Fall Creators Update.
Is this on a upgrade or clean installation?

Everything is fine for me. No slowdowns, graphical glitches or BSOD. And I haven't done any clean installation.

Regarding your group policy settings for Windows Defender, do they have something to do with the cloud/ telemetry/ advance MAPS?

Reactions: DeepWeb

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Is this on a upgrade or clean installation?

Everything is fine for me. No slowdowns, graphical glitches or BSOD. And I haven't done any clean installation.

Regarding your group policy settings for Windows Defender, do they have something to do with the cloud/ telemetry/ advance MAPS?
I did a clean install after doing something horribly stupid losing all my programs. It was so stupid, I even forgot what I did. Anyway I don't hate it. I still like a lot about CU. I like the better integration, better security, beautiful apps, black theme. :D

Hadden

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
In my experience with 10, latest major build is not always so good.
Of course, is not demonstrable, it's more just a feel of an home user.

RTM (1507)
I used 10 since it was released. Smooth. Some explorer/usb issues were solved after few critical updates. It was a new product, after all :)

TH (1511)
Laggy: doubled startup time (same hardware) and shutdown requires a lot of time (Minutes!) due a strange bug in gpedit. Frequent explorer hangs, programs were slower than RTM - went back to 1507.

Anniversary Update (1607)
Smooth again. I didn't trust, so I waited for "official" release - a forced KB update from RTM.
Startup is not fast as it was in RTM, but I use cold boot, and the time required is acceptable.

Creator Update (1707)
I wait for it. Well, I tried the update once. Didn't work. But I can live without it. And I'll do, probably.
Still updating 1607, of course.

Destroyer Update (1807?)
Probably I'll go directly to this, Creator Update Service Pack 1 :D
(It's a pun, I doubt a sane person would call "destroyer" an update)

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasudev and DeepWeb

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
In my experience with 10, latest major build is not always so good.
Of course, is not demonstrable, it's more just a feel of an home user.

RTM (1507)
I used 10 since it was released. Smooth. Some explorer/usb issues were solved after few critical updates. It was a new product, after all :)

TH (1511)
Laggy: doubled startup time (same hardware) and shutdown requires a lot of time (Minutes!) due a strange bug in gpedit. Frequent explorer hangs, programs were slower than RTM - went back to 1507.

Anniversary Update (1607)
Smooth again. I didn't trust, so I waited for "official" release - a forced KB update from RTM.
Startup is not fast as it was in RTM, but I use cold boot, and the time required is acceptable.

Creator Update (1707)
I wait for it. Well, I tried the update once. Didn't work. But I can live without it. And I'll do, probably.
Still updating 1607, of course.

Destroyer Update (1807?)
Probably I'll go directly to this, Creator Update Service Pack 1 :D
(It's a pun, I doubt a sane person would call "destroyer" an update)
Despite what people say, you are not missing much in CU unless you really really want to draw memes in Paint 3D. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.