Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-is-finally-removing-the-get-windows-10-app

Microsoft today released a new update for Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs, which finally removes the Get Windows 10 (GWX) app. The move comes almost two months after the free upgrade period for Windows 10 ended on July 29.

KB3184143 "removes the Get Windows 10 app and other software related to the Windows 10 free upgrade offer that expired on July 29, 2016." It's not exactly clear what the "other software" is, but your PC will no longer be prepped for an expired free upgrade offer. You can find more information in Microsoft's article here.

If you're not familiar with GWX, it was one of the most despised pieces of software during the free upgrade period for anyone that wanted to stick with Windows 7 or 8.1. The app pulled every trick imaginable to get users to upgrade, including changing it so that closing it confirms the upgrade (rather than cancelling it), showing an alert icon and a countdown to July 29, and more.

According to ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley, you can still grab a free upgrade if you want one. A Windows 7 or 8.1 key should work with a Windows 10 installation. Also, if you upgraded your PC before the free upgrade period ended and rolled back, your PC is licensed for Windows 10, so you can still upgrade for free.

Source: Microsoft via ZDNet

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I'm still saying to myself people are going to regret not upgrading. I know the begining of Windows 10 was horrible I was pissed after my old computer died from the upgrade. However, things have changed and since the AU I find MS is taking Windows Defender really seriously. I just haven't really tried it since I am an Avast Fanboy. :p

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
What do you mean by "validate"? I have not done it recently but I did upgrade my win7 after the free upgrade offer ended officially. It went fine and I have now a "Digital License"

Really?o_O

What did you use? Aside from the upgrade tool,I'm using the 1607 iso for speed and convenience.

I will try to upgrade a Win7 station soon,then.

Reactions: brambedkar59
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.