Update Microsoft is killing off Internet Explorer on Windows 10

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 51
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft has already confirmed it will kill off defunct web browsers in the coming months and additional details are finally available. According to updated support documentation, Internet Explorer is set to stop working next year and the browser will be retired on June 15, 2022.
Internet Explorer was first released in 1995 and it currently sits at a mere 1% market share, according to StatCounter data (down from 95% when it was popular).
Microsoft is currently planning to end support for the Internet Explorer 11 desktop app on June 15, 2022. After June, it will no longer receive updates or support on certain versions of Windows 10.

Microsoft is disabling Internet Explorer on these versions/editions of Windows:
  • Windows 10 version 20H2 and later.
  • Windows 10 IoT (version 20H2 and later).
This change affects all supported consumer and enterprise editions of Windows 10, but there won’t be any noticeable changes if you use in-market Windows 10 LTSC or Server edition of Internet Explorer 11.
Internet Explorer migration plans:
If you don’t use Internet Explorer at home or office, there’s no action required from your end. However, if you still use the browser for some reasons, Microsoft recommends a transition to Chromium Edge before June 15, 2022.

Once you’ve migrated to Microsoft Edge, you’ll find all your browsing data from Internet Explorer in a few clicks. In a business environment, if you need to run a site designed for Internet Explorer, you can always use built-in Internet Explorer mode in Edge.
In addition to Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge Legacy is also going away and Adobe Flash Player will be removed in the coming weeks as well.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 51
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
I still need it for work.
Luckily, the site (using ActiveX) runs on Edge in compatibility mode, but then you have an annoying banner that you are running in compatibility mode with an off button.
Hope that will be refined before they kill IE.
More info can be found in this Bleeping Computer article:
Especially this video shows that when properly configured my "problems" are gone:
Must talk with IT soon...

rain2reign

Level 6
Jun 21, 2020
To be honest any IT department had at least 5 years time to find, or build a solution without depending on Microsoft. Especially so, since there is no guarantee that the compatibility 'mode' will even work properly. Of course, some in IT may say "but it's not that easy", well Microsoft announced (I hint at planning, not setting a date) its plans for retiring IE many a year ago and then another couple of times during, and after, Edge Chromium release.

Negligence in my opinion at this point, if they haven't solved it for their application solutions for their company by now. It's the same story as the Flash debacle the way I see it, only IE instead of Flash in the title.

silversurfer

Level 75
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Aug 17, 2014
Yesterday, Microsoft began its next phase of Internet Explorer's demise by no longer supporting Microsoft 365.

"Support is now unavailable for Microsoft 365 apps and services on IE11. Additionally, you should expect no new features when accessing Microsoft 365 apps and services on IE11 and that the daily usage experience for users could get progressively worse over time until the apps and services are disconnected," explained Microsoft in an updated blog post. "Banners will be used to communicate and alert users to upcoming changes in experience, such as app or service disconnection and/or redirection."