Changes to Cortana – and home users will lose out

Antus67

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 3, 2019
Changes arriving with the Windows 10 201H update
Microsoft is preparing to make major changes to its virtual assistant Cortana, stripping away its smart home skills and transforming it into something that's less like Google Assistant, Siri or Alexa, and more of a simple chatbot to help with everyday tasks like managing your calendar.

As Ars Technica reports, the newly pared-back Cortana is expected to arrive with the launch of Windows 10 20H1, which will be the operating system's first major update this year. Microsoft has yet to announce when this will begin rolling out, but we're expecting it to be within the next few months.

The update will also put strict limitations on who can use Cortana, so only users who are logged into a Microsoft online account, or a school or work account will have access. If you only use a local Windows 10 account, you'll be out of luck.
a blog post announcing the update, corporate vice president of Cortana Andrew Shuman explained that Cortana's focus is becoming narrower, and focusing more on search and productivity.

"The new Cortana experience in Windows 10 features a chat-based UI that gives you the ability to interact with Cortana using your voice or the keyboard," Shuman said.

"For English (United States) users, Cortana will assist you in better managing your schedule and tasks by staying on top of your calendar and focusing on what matters with meeting insights. You can speak or type requests to find people or files, or quickly create or query emails. You can also easily check your calendar, set a reminder, or add to your lists in Microsoft To Do."

While these features sound interesting, they'll only be available to users in the US at first. If you live elsewhere, Cortana will only be able to perform searches using Bing and 'chat' to you until an unspecified time in the future.

If you currently use Cortana to control your smart home devices, there is at least some good news: Microsoft has confirmed to ZDNet that you'll still be able to manage your lights and music with the Cortana apps for iOS and Android (for the time being).

Source: Microsoft is making big changes to Cortana – and home users will lose out

Last edited by a moderator:

Chigwells

Level 4
Jan 16, 2012
Hmm,

Task_Manager.png

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Never used Cortana. Haven't even tried to use it. If you're going to have a female assistant, real or electronic, you ought to be able to flirt with her/it and she/it ought to flirt back. If it won't, it's just another device, like that paperclip thing MS had many years ago. It's just there taking up space.

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
Never used Cortana. Haven't even tried to use it. If you're going to have a female assistant, real or electronic, you ought to be able to flirt with her/it and she/it ought to flirt back. If it won't, it's just another device, like that paperclip thing MS had many years ago. It's just there taking up space.

You can remove it with Debotnet:

Immagine.jpg

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

Yeah, I was hoping this post was about Clippy coming back.

Everybody loved Clippy. ;)

1583165702037.png
1583165801680.png
1583165891631.png

1583165674001.png

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

Attachments

• capture_03022020_204729.jpg
    capture_03022020_204729.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 164

Mountainking

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2018
Currently removing it would break Windows start menu search I think. I have it disabled. There are many tools that can disable it so disabling is the better option I think.
Removed it and I don't like Windows Search anyways. I have been using ransack agent (free) forever now and its pinned in my start bar. The capabilities are amazing and its free and does not sit in memory.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I got rid of Cortana 2 or 3 months ago. Got rid of Win 10 from this machine and went back to Win 8.1 Pro. I've decided the Win 10 latest upgrade was more dangerous than it was worth. I'd rather use something that works, and on which my antique software works.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.