Microsoft: It's Hard to Upgrade Everyone to Windows 10 Without Angering Some People

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Redmond says it has a responsibility to keep users secure
Windows 10 was rolled out in July 2015 and since then Microsoft has been constantly pushing for users of Windows 7 and 8.1 to upgrade to the new OS version.

In some cases, this push for upgrades turned into a significant fiasco, with many accusing the company for forcing them to upgrade and sometime installing Windows 10 on their PCs without authorization.

But in a recent podcast, Microsoft's Chief Marketing Officer Chris Capossela explains that one of the reasons the Redmond-based tech giant wants everyone to upgrade is that is has a responsibility of keeping everyone secure and currently the most secure operating system is Windows 10.

Windows 10 is a much better place than Windows 7”

Capossela explained that with so many users currently on Windows, and with Microsoft trying to fight fragmentation, it's basically impossible to move everyone to the new OS version without “angering some people.”

He does mention that users are given the choice whether to switch to Windows 10 or not, and are even allowed to downgrade to their previous OS version if they want, but presenting them the opportunity of installing a new product that's safer and faster is vital.

“We just know there's a lot of people out there who constantly kick the can down the street without a little bit more of a, frankly, a push and there's no doubt with a basis big as ours it's hard to move anyone to a new model without angering some people. We don't want to anger anybody, but do we feel a responsibility to get people to a much better place and we think Windows 10 is a much better place than Windows 7,” Capossela explained.

Starting early 2016, this push for upgrades will become a little bit more aggressive, with Windows 10 to be offered as recommended update in Windows Update. Microsoft hopes that this way more Windows 7 and 8.1 users would become aware of the free upgrade they can perform until July 29, 2016, but there's no doubt some of them will still want to stick to their current OS version.

This is more of an amusing news story than a serious one.Concerned about upgrading for our security,please!
I think there might be a hidden agenda other than just the nobility of keeping us secure.

Pandy

Level 1
Verified
Nov 19, 2014
Well its good for them to think about the security,
But if the update happens without accepting it over night just because you have recommended updates on, then thats not ok.

Ive had to hide atleast 3 different "Win10 update offer" updates from one computer because they didnt want to update

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Those people with some sense will find aggressive "Free upgrade to Windows 10" marketing dubious/scam in nature because nothing is free in this world and Microsoft where never known as a charity sane company and in fact one among the greediest companies in the world of corporates. Considering the Spy/Privacy controversies surrounding the new OS, Microsoft's "responsibility of keeping everyone secure" is a sugar coated words with hidden agendas. To me there is no advantage with Windows 10 over Windows 7 other than Direct X 12 support.

D

Deleted member 178

To me there is no advantage with Windows 10 over Windows 7 other than Direct X 12 support.

Are you serious, never heard about some of the security additions? (some needs the latest or dedicated hardwares)

home users

Secure Boot?
Windows Defender?
Windows Firewall?
Edge?
AppContainer?
Windows Hello?
Windows Passport?
CPU Virtualization?

enterprise/business:

Device Guard?
Azure Rights Management?
Continuous Windows Update

in the future

bromium cooperation?

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Currently most of my office system is still using XP up to Win 7.
I've been constantly nagging them to upgrade to Wins 10 Pro.

Reactions: done

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Are you serious,

in fact i agree with him, me personally i wont upgrade to windows 10 as my primary OS (i dont like too many stuff that they are doing) as for security reasons... come on, no matter what you do or what you add, if in 1st place we educate the user in a normal basic, i think we wouldnt need an AV at all... since i know people who still user XP since a long time even these days and they have never ever get an infection (as an example)

D

Deleted member 178

come on, no matter what you do or what you add, if in 1st place we educate the user in a normal basic, i think we wouldnt need an AV at all...

will never happen, this is just an utopia.

since i know people who still user XP since a long time even these days and they have never ever get an infection (as an example)

how many are they , 0.1% of billions?

Sorry i wont acknowledge careless users participating in malware propagation, in real world , some countries' laws force car owners to fix or change their vehicle if it becomes a security threat. Since it is hard to change people behavior about computing habits (either because they are lazy or lack of knowledge) , so the tools must adapt to them and enforce more security.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Are you serious, never heard about some of the security additions?

Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, Edge there are better alternatives to that already that too free ;) and some other features are a reason to "upgrade" is another question. If security is the most important aspect, it is better not to use Windows at all instead usage of Linux is recommended which is quite strong in security natively.

Last edited:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I don't think the issue is about privacy or security, but respecting an users option to decline upgrading to Windows 10. We can have a thousand people say that Windows 10 is the best and most secure OS Microsoft has developed, but at the end of the day (since Microsoft made it optional) it should still be users decision to install it.

What Microsoft could do is simply explain to them the benefits of the new OS in a way that's easily understood especially for home users since they're the ones that are getting the benefit of a free upgrade.

D

Deleted member 178

Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, Edge there are better alternatives to that already that too free ;)

i compared over win7 , of course if you start adding 3rd party apps , it becomes another question ;)

and some other features are a reason to "upgrade" is another question. If security is the most important aspect, it is better not to use Windows at all instead usage of Linux is recommended which is quite strong in security natively.

you need Windows , you can't avoid it; and Linux is not yet in my eye a suitable and user-friendly replacement.

I don't think the issue is about privacy or security, but respecting an users option to decline upgrading to Windows 10. We can have a thousand people say that Windows 10 is the best and most secure OS Microsoft has developed, but at the end of the day (since Microsoft made it optional) it should still be users decision to install it.

they won't upgrade because mostly because they are too used to what they have. people difficultly accept changes.

What Microsoft could do is simply explain to them the benefits of the new OS in a way that's easily understood especially for home users since they're the ones that are getting the benefit of a free upgrade.

that is a marketing problem; MS was never really good at it :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
you need Windows , you can't avoid it; and Linux is not yet in my eye a suitable and user-friendly replacement.

Yeah there are reasons people cant avoid using Windows instead of going with Linux and Windows 7 seems to balance such reasons to many peoples likes :)

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Yeah there are reasons people cant avoid using Windows instead of going with Linux and Windows 7 seems to balance such reasons to many peoples likes :)

Agreed. I've been using Windows since 3.11 days until now.
Which is why I felt it's time I should start playing with Linux slowly in case (who know) Windows is dying in future :p

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
will never happen
Will never happen? well that depend...

how many are they , 0.1% of billions?

actually you are talking about numbers i can tell you that most of the infections comes from pendrives, not from internet, what i mean is that cryptolocker, exploit or etc... are never seen here NEVER, chances are that you get an infection via a friend usb rather than having your files encrypted; phishing, exploits etc are threat that do not pose a risk in this country, that is why i say that those "features" are pretty much useless, i dont know where you live but here infections are just as simple as scripts, i dont consider myself an IT guy even tho am a system engineer student (actually my classmates to avoid the hassle, they migrate to linux) and i never got an infection via online (in my entire life just i got infected 3 times via usb and it was because the AV i was using was unable to proactive detect unknown malware).

Another fact is that we still use windows XP and windows 7 (almost 80% of the population) and what we see here is adware infections and some trojans or worms (not a big deal) rather than complex stuff and we dont get higher infection rates :D like other countries... :D ; most of the pc s i check comes with adware just a few of them are actually infected and those features you are talking to, even the entire OS itself is adware friendly, the day that microsoft takes serious concern about malware that day i would make an altar for them

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
you need Windows
as told you before; we are coders and they (classmates) dont use windows at all, how they do? dont ask me, but actually they do everything they may need on linux (except just playing a video game)

they won't upgrade because mostly because they are too used to what they have

i was a windows insider, well still I am, i tested most of the previews of windows 10, but since the last preview before RTM they ruined everything... i do like changes (am the windows fan who will talk about it to my linux friends the whole day) but I DONT LIKE THE PATH that windows is taking... it cant be helped but unless they change I wont upgrade :D

marketing problem

well actually no, beyond the fancy stuff, GUI etc we like to know and see what is going on under the hood, if you are an average user that will buy something just because is pretty (like apple stuff) and dont pay attention to what really matter, then sorry for you, you are another victim of capitalism

hoang2007

Level 1
Verified
Feb 22, 2015
Windows 10 is good, but what matters more to me is that my system fully supports it. Since Intel will never bother to write Windows 10 graphic drivers for my Sandy Bridge processor, the free upgrade makes no sense. Microsoft said my system was ready for Windows 10, but it turned out to be the opposite. I think Microsoft shouldn't have forced people with incompatible hardware like me to upgrade to Windows 10.
P.S Those who have Sandy Bridge processors just need to play an .mkv video on Windows 10 to see how incompatible their systems are.

D

Deleted member 178

actually you are talking about numbers i can tell you that most of the infections comes from pendrives,

Malwares don't appears inside the pendrive by themselves...
"hey, i'm a malware , im floating in the air, oh a pendrive in this guy pocket, let go in it !""
come on...

All comes from the internet either by infected sites/apps or targeted attacks.

what i mean is that cryptolocker, exploit or etc... are never seen here NEVER, chances are that you get an infection via a friend usb rather than having your files encrypted; phishing, exploits etc are threat that do not pose a risk in this country, that is why i say that those "features" are pretty much useless,

which country? it is not because a country is safer about a particular threat, than others should not be protected.

i dont consider myself an IT guy even tho am a system engineer student (actually my classmates to avoid the hassle, they migrate to linux) and i never got an infection via online (in my entire life just i got infected 3 times via usb and it was because the AV i was using was unable to proactive detect unknown malware).

You are applying your own experience and deduct than everybody share it...
check our malware help section, and you will see the real impact.

as told you before; we are coders and they (classmates) dont use windows at all, how they do? dont ask me, but actually they do everything they may need on linux (except just playing a video game)

you are coders, not everybody , you can handle issues with linux easily, i take 100 people near me and tell them : "hey my Kubuntu apps are outdated, can you do a sudo apt get-update please?" guess how many will understand? zero !

You talk about Linux, the less user-friendly OS ever ; even OSX is better in that. Linux is a geek OS whatever their user can say.

not saying that people buy computer for :

- surf internet
- go social media
- play game
- work on MS Office if they are students or employees

i was a windows insider, well still I am, i tested most of the previews of windows 10, but since the last preview before RTM they ruined everything...

i was too , but my security softs can't keep up with the betas so i stopped.

well actually no, beyond the fancy stuff, GUI etc we like to know and see what is going on under the hood, if you are an average user that will buy something just because is pretty (like apple stuff) and dont pay attention to what really matter, then sorry for you, you are another victim of capitalism

i don't care much of the GUI, but what is inside the OS capable of making my system stable and secure. For fancy GUI i can customize it myself easily with some apps, not a problem.

honestly if i could buy a Win10 enterprise version, i will cut my security config by 70%.

Another fact is that we still use windows XP and windows 7 (almost 80% of the population)

that is the problem , but i can understand that for people residing in less rich countries (like i am now) that can't afford a computer able to tun the latest OS.

the day that microsoft takes serious concern about malware that day i would make an altar for them

they started but it will take a long way; if you heard about the bromium cooperation you will understand what im talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bunchuu and frogboy

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Hmm.. what I can possibly see and predict is that there is two possiblity:

1) Upgrade to Win 10. Got Incompatiblity/ bug - report it / patch the hole temporarily while waiting for updates continually.

2) Stay to Window 8/8.1/7/XP. Got issue but no update support, find glue to patch those holes and hope no more leaks.

Either way, to me doesn't make a difference. There are still holes.
I upgrade Win 10 because
a) it's free
b) it's convenient for me to work since more and more are upgrading to Win 10.
c) more things to play
d) I'm a just basic user. So does billions of people around the world. I don't have the expertise to know what's so buggy and what sort of incompatiblity between them. Got holes - patch it. Still holes - let it be. If you offer something free and claim to be better, why not?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.