Security News Microsoft July 2018 Patch Tuesday Fixes 53 Security Bugs Across 15 Products

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
The Microsoft July 2018 Patch Tuesday is out! This month, the OS maker fixed 53 security flaws in 15 different products.

The list of applications that received patches this month includes:

Internet Explorer
Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Windows
Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office Services and Web Apps
ChakraCore
Adobe Flash Player
.NET Framework
ASP.NET
Microsoft Research JavaScript Cryptography Library
Skype for Business and Microsoft Lync
Visual Studio
Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter V2 Software
PowerShell Editor Services
PowerShell Extension for Visual Studio Code
Web Customizations for Active Directory Federation Services

Flash fixes also included
On top of this, the Microsoft July 2018 Patch Tuesday also includes Flash Player security updates, which Adobe released just a few hours ago.

Below is a table listing of all the security issues Microsoft fixed this month. We used PowerShell and the Microsoft API to assemble the table below, but the report is much longer. We hosted the full report on GitHub, here.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have to say I never paid much attention to windows update as long as it works. :oops: So I have a question: I only got the Flash Player update KB4338832, why? :cry:
I couldn't even find a KB for this patch. Is it many patches or just one? :oops:
I am on Windows 10 1803, I got the adobe update, and a cumulative called
KB4338819
I also got a bunch of MS Office updates.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
If you notice slowdown/lags after updating to the latest build 165, open elevated powershell or cmd prompt and run the following scripts since Windows deletes pre-compiled assemblies optimised for your PC specs. Run x86 or x32 cmds first, followed by x64.
Rich (BB code):
cd C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319
ngen update

cd C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319
ngen update
Hope this helps. The cpu might be pegged at 95-100% usage for 5 mins-10mins for entire process to be completed.

Reactions: Daviworld

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Edge is starting up itself after windows update, how i can force it not to?

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I believe that stops when you set another browser as default browser.
Nope its not that. The thing i have found out is just when i disable backround apps from windows, somehow they keep turning back. Not sure if it have something to do with ccleaner

Attachments

• sovellukset.png
    sovellukset.png
    243 KB · Views: 410

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
I still don't have the cumulative. :eek: Now I think my configuration of WU is wrong. But there should be no way to deactivate security updates, if I don't fully deactivate WU.
OS build is still 17134.137. This is weird. I have to check my group policies... No they are correct. It even scans every hour, all available updates enabled, except drivers.:unsure:
I downloaded the update manually. I'll still wait to install it because I want to know if it ever comes up over WU or not. :geek:

What could be the possible reason that its blocked? (If it is) :confused: VPN, firewall, Kaspersky ... me not being in the distributing queue. I closed all the programs, but still no update. So why am I not getting that update? hm... :unsure::emoji_sob:

Reactions: Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Every time i boot computer this happens. Pictures and edge is turned on in task manager, even they wont show up on startup tool
Computer been online for hour and picture includes the problem

Edit: i just repaired ' photos' and edge and disabled the background usage of them. Seems problem fixed

Attachments

• windwws.png
    windwws.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
Hrrrm... I am getting concerned. :( I still didn't get the cumulative update. :emoji_grimacing:
Any ideas why? I get defender definition updates and the newest flash-player update with no problem.

I

illumination

Hrrrm... I am getting concerned. :( I still didn't get the cumulative update. :emoji_grimacing:
Any ideas why? I get defender definition updates and the newest flash-player update with no problem.
I was going to look at your config to help answer this, but can not seem to find one posted. Knowing what all software you have on your system would be a good start...

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
Oh yea, I didn't do that yet. :( I tend to test this and that program for a short while. I haven't found my be-all-end-all config.
Hm... Even if I disable everything I don't get the update. That means standard windows firewall with no extra rules and windows defender.

I am hesitant to say it is caused by any of my programs. Others in my area also don't have it yet.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Oh yea, I didn't do that yet. :( I tend to test this and that program for a short while. I haven't found my be-all-end-all config.
Hm... Even if I disable everything I don't get the update. That means standard windows firewall with no extra rules and windows defender.

I am hesitant to say it is caused by any of my programs. Others in my area also don't have it yet.
Relax, it's probably coming to you sooner or later. It depends not only on the geo location but on OS version and hardware. I haven't got mine either yet :)

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
:) yea I could always install the .msu i downloaded, but I want to know how long I lag behind. All those days are concerning.

Reactions: Vasudev

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Every time i boot computer this happens. Pictures and edge is turned on in task manager, even they wont show up on startup tool

Edit: i just repaired ' photos' and edge and disabled the background usage of them. Seems problem fixed
Try disabling Edge from auto start using gpedit.msc . Enable that tweak in both Computer config and user config sections.
1531668739297.png

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

gpedit.msc

if you are using a home version.

Since the Group Policy Editor is not included in Windows 10 by default, we will need to download the editor first. You may download it from the below mentioned download link.
Download
Alternative download link
This is a simple setup file which when run will install and configure the Group Policy Editor in your Windows Home system.

Klappis

Level 1
Verified
Feb 15, 2014

Reinstall Windows. It's obvious your screwed something up.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.