Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
With Windows 10 build 14352, Microsoft is introducing a new security feature in its desktop operating system that can provide additional protection to users regardless of the antivirus solution running on their computers.

Called Limited Periodic Scanning, this new feature performs automatic scans with Windows Defender on your PC to remove malware that a third-party solution might not detect. This new tool is completely optional and can be enabled from the Settings app > Update & security > Windows Defender > Limited Periodic Scanning.

Previously, in Windows 8 and Windows 10, Windows Defender was automatically disabled when users installed a third-party antivirus solution, so Microsoft is changing this behavior with the Anniversary Update. Although the fully featured Windows Defender won’t remain active, these periodic scans can run side by side with your third-party antivirus and make sure that no malware reaches your data.

Scans performed only when you’re not using the PC
Microsoft guarantees that the automatic scans will take place at the most convenient times, so they won’t start if you’re playing games, for instance, as it might impact system performance.

“These periodic scans will utilize Automatic Maintenance - to ensure the system chooses optimal times based on minimal impact to the user, PC performance, and energy efficiency - or customers can schedule these scans. Limited Periodic Scanning is intended to offer an additional line of defense to your existing antivirus program’s real-time protection,” Microsoft explains.

The results of these scans are available in Windows Defender, so you can always open the default Windows 10 antivirus solution to see if there’s anything wrong with your PC. Additionally, notifications informing you of the results of the scan will be shown with the toast notification system and included in the Action Center for quick analysis.

On computers where a third-party antivirus solution isn’t available, so Windows Defender continues to be the default security app, this feature will be enabled by default. At the moment, it’s only available for consumers, but Microsoft considers adding it to commercial versions of Windows 10 too.

Limited Periodic Scanning is currently available in Windows 10 build 14352 but will be offered to retail users with the Anniversary Update due in the summer.
from Microsoft Launches Windows 10 Antivirus Feature for Periodic Malware Scanning

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows 10 Insider Preview - Full Changelog
Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14352

Microsoft TechNet
Limited Periodic Scanning in Windows 10 to Provide Additional Malware Protection

"At this time, Windows 10 Limited Periodic Scanning is intended for consumers. We are evaluating this feature for commercial customers, but Limited Periodic Scanning only applies to unmanaged devices for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update."

-----------------

Is your current 3rd party antivirus software compatible with Limited Periodic Scanning?

Last edited:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
So Windows Defender will be a companion AV which scans my PC when idle (even I have 3rd party AV) ?
So it says, let's check it out in summer :)
"Although the fully featured Windows Defender won’t remain active, these periodic scans can run side by side with your third-party antivirus and make sure that no malware reaches your data."

@Huracan regarding your edit: How to find it out without being an Insider? Is there an official page by M$? QTS360 probably is / will be soon as they have a partnership w/ M$ and did support 10 right from the launch.
Qihoo 360 and Microsoft Partner for Windows 10 Distribution | 360 Total Security Blog

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Its nice that Microsoft is really serious about security but this update might be the bane of my computer.. Windows 10's AV takes up resources in literally every single thing and slows down my entire computer. Hopefully there is a way to disable this.

H

hjlbx

Windows Defender is fine, except that scans really impact system resources - even with i7 and SSD.

If it visibly slows down my i7 SSD, then I can only imagine what it will do with much less powerful CPU with HDD...

M$ needs to further optimize Windows Defender's impact on system, but there is little hope that they will do it anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@hjlbx: Yes that's true, I witnessed some system that even though have decent specifications however Windows Defender remains one of the possible culprit of slowdowns or resource hog followed by OS memory compression feature.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Windows Defender is fine, except that scans really impact system resources - even with i7 and SSD.

If it visibly slows down my i7 SSD, then I can only imagine what it will do with much less powerful CPU with HDD...

M$ needs to further optimize Windows Defender's impact on system, but there is little hope that they will do it anytime soon.
Just try ending process named MpcmdRun using task manager. What this actually does is just a theory: WD tries updating virus defs whilst system scanning that's the reason its slowing down. You can block it using FW settings or by disabling WU and BITS temporarily during scanning to speedup the process and lessen strain on SSD. I blocked mpcmdrun using FW rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Huracan regarding your edit: How to find it out without being an Insider? Is there an official page by M$?
Find out what?
Hopefully there is a way to disable this.
Yes, you can enable or disable this upcoming feature.
I would personally use a third party still like Avast! Seems to have better protection and detection capabilities.
You can use Avast with realtime protection, but Limited Periodic Scanning will run if enabled providing a second layer.

MSRT runs every month without you realising, I doubt you'll notice a scan by WD.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
@Huracan whether the current version of the AV used will be compatible to this upcoming feature without being an M$ Insider.
Regarding to your yesterday's question underneath your post (#3). Or did I got something wrong and this is just a quote?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@hjlbx: Yes that's true, I witnessed some system that even though have decent specifications however Windows Defender remains one of the possible culprit of slowdowns or resource hog followed by OS memory compression feature.
what can be done about the memory compression feature?
Is it possible, and a good idea, to disable it?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Huracan whether the current version of the AV used will be compatible to this upcoming feature without being an M$ Insider.
Regarding to your yesterday's question underneath your post (#3). Or did I got something wrong and this is just a quote?
I understand, I asked it because I know that some vendors will probably check if this setting is enabled and request for it to be disabled. :p

D

Deleted member 178

i5 with 6gb RAM here , no slowdown with WD , oh i forgot im the god of security tinkerers :p

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@shmu26: Well its already a built in component at Windows 10, there is no way to disable it.

A way to optimize the system however some system may suffer slowdowns because of resource usage problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.