• No

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 37 64.9%
  • Total voters

security123

Level 25
Verified
The second change came to light just recently. It appears that Microsoft disabled the Registry key DisableAntiSpyware which administrators could use to disable Microsoft Windows Defender.

Our colleagues over at Deskmodder note that third-party software such as Defender Control should still work. The equally excellent Configure Defender may work as well.

It is unclear at this point in time if the Group Policy options to disable Windows Defender still work.

TairikuOkami

Level 28
Verified
Content Creator
In the term of security, it is a good idea. People disable AV and then complain about Windows, when they get infected and MS support has to handle it.

People, who do not like WD should already know, how to disable it by simply disabling its services. :)

Attachments

• capture-08192020-210445.jpg
    capture-08192020-210445.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 115
well, if a simple registry change could disable it, it wouldn't be very effective against more advanced malware that would just turn it off. i stopped trying to turn it off with programs that do that kinda thing. it happened a couple of times that they screwed up defender so i couldn't turn it back on again later.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
well, if a simple registry change could disable it, it wouldn't be very effective against more advanced malware that would just turn it off. i stopped trying to turn it off with programs that do that kinda thing. it happened a couple of times that they screwed up defender so i couldn't turn it back on again later.
If malware has a strong enough grip on your computer to do that to the registry, it is already in control of your computer. AFAIK any AV can be killed by means of registry changes.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Thank you for pointing this out. Is there a way to know for sure if it is completely disabled or not?
I forget the exact name of the WD process that you can see in Windows task manager, or in whatever app you use to monitor running processes. I am running linux right now, so I can't check. Just make a note of it, on a system where it is running properly. If you see that process running on another system, then you know that WD is not disabled.

Local Host

Level 22
Verified
1 You can still do it from group policy, right?
2 They say that Configure Defender can do it. AFAIK the disable WD feature was removed from Configure Defender, because that feature caused Microsoft to flag it as malware.
This only affects home users, you can still disable Windows Defender through Group Policy.
Anti-Tamper prevents that, Microsoft reasoning is obviously that, but also to force third-party Anti-Virus vendors to use the proper APIs, instead of hacks.
When you install another security solution WD gets disabled right?
Yes, but see above, some third-party Anti-Virus vendors were using hacks to disable Windows Defender instead of the proper APIs, those weren't working properly since Microsoft introduced Anti-Tamper.

roger_m

Level 30
Verified
Content Creator
Is it safe to use?
Yes it is. It doesn't install anything onto your system. You just run it and click Disable Windows Defender and when you exit it, it leaves nothing on your system. You can run it again and re-enable Windows Defender again if you ever need to.

I've found that on some systems, Windows Defender has eventually been enabled again, so I've had to run Configure Defender again. I just leave it the Downloads folder, so that it there if I need to run it again.