• Yes

Votes: 37 64.9%
  • Total voters

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Microsoft does have further checks on licenses, and can/will blacklist KEYs.

Obviously they mostly focused on companies not paying their dues, but they may end up catching people using licenses they shouldn't.

When this happens you get this warning, means the license was blacklisted and you no longer entitled,
View attachment 245418
Someone actually asked Microsoft about the type of Windows 10 licenses you get on ebay. Their reply was that the license will be checked at the initial activation. Once the license is associated with the device, that's it. MS doesn't bother anymore about it.
I have bought many Windows 10 licenses on ebay, and never had a problem with any of them.
Now, for the sake of argument, let's say I'm totally wrong, and there is a 50% chance the license will be deactivated. I would still risk my $5 instead of paying $200.

SpiderWeb

Level 3
I don't remember how I did it but I disabled WD in Group Policy years ago. What's interesting is when I recently tried to undo the Group Policy changes I couldn't get Windows Defender to restart. It has been disabled for so many generations that I just couldn't get it to run anymore, at least not in this account. I created a new account and Windows Defender was running in that one but I wasn't ready to sacrifice the tweaks and files in the older account so it's staying quite literally disabled.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
I don't remember how I did it but I disabled WD in Group Policy years ago. What's interesting is when I recently tried to undo the Group Policy changes I couldn't get Windows Defender to restart. It has been disabled for so many generations that I just couldn't get it to run anymore, at least not in this account. I created a new account and Windows Defender was running in that one but I wasn't ready to sacrifice the tweaks and files in the older account so it's staying quite literally disabled.
When WD is running, it is running system-wide. Probably, it is just the icon that is not showing. Open task manager and check the startup tab, maybe the icon is disabled.

Telos

Level 20
Verified
Content Creator
Disable Windows Defender? So you can use an over-priced, ineffective substitute?

I get it that WD isn't so nerd worthy with countless tweaks and graphs to play with, however, its OS integration makes it a formidable barrier. I've never had an issue w/WD and I've removed all the "fun" substitutes and augmentations offered elsewhere. Do what you like.

amirr

Level 7
with Group Policy:

amirr

Level 7
The problem is just, that when you have disabled the settings, when the computer reboot, it's back to it's default settings.
When I used Tuitio antimalware (Appguard) it really was a PITA.
Because you are not fully disabling it. Try this:

Reactions: roger_m

blacksheep

Level 4
It drives me nuts, because sometimes then I game I want to disable it, but it's coming back right after the reboot or after several hours :mad:

Gangelo

Level 3
Verified
Don't get me wrong, but if you need to disable defender in order to have a smooth gaming experience, perhaps you should consider upgrading your hardware.
Defender is light as it is and it never gave me trouble while gaming. And my gaming rig is not exactly a powerhouse..

Nightwalker

Level 20
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
A friend said to me before:
If you use Windows 10 Pro, the better way is to use Group Policies : Permanently disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus on Windows 10

Otherwise, you can use the Registry indeed.

It’s better to disable it, some parts may remain active (for instance, it will continue to update itself) even though KIS is active otherwise.

No it isnt, dont mess up with Microsoft Defender, if another third party solution is update and running it will remain inactive without any conflict whatsoever.