Microsoft Now Displaying Full-Screen Windows 10 Upgrade Notifications on Windows 7

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
The company now show nags that take over the whole screen
Earlier this year, Microsoft started showing Windows 10 upgrade notifications on Windows 7 computers in order to make sure that everyone was aware of the free offer that was available to those running a previous version of the operating system.

But in the last few weeks, the company has become a little bit more aggressive with the Windows 10 upgrade, and not only that it “accidentally” flagged it as important in Windows Update (which caused the new OS to be deployed automatically on several computers without users knowing it), but it also changed the way these notifications are being displayed.

Business Insider writes that the Windows 10 upgrade notifications are now taking over the whole screen “with no obvious way to turn them off,” which could make it harder for beginners to avoid the install.

While there's a big red “X” button in the right top corner, which pretty much helps you close the upgrade notification, displaying a full-screen notification is certainly annoying, and for the moment, there's indeed no way to stop them from showing up once again after a reboot.

“I Don't Want Windows 10”
The Get Windows 10 app that's responsible for the notifications you see on your screen cannot be removed just like any other program on your PC, but by uninstalling the KB3035583 update from Windows Update. Obviously, it will be re-offered once you reboot, so make sure you also hit it to stay away from it.

As an alternative solution, you can try an app that's called “I Don't Want Windows 10,” which does exactly what its name suggests: it blocks the Get Windows 10 patch and helps you get rid of those annoying notifications.

While this is a helpful tool for users who want to stay on Windows 7, keep in mind that turning to third-party solutions to disable OS features might also affect its performance, and Microsoft says that you should actually stay away from them.

Needless to say, without such a trick, the only thing that's left is to get ready for even more aggressive notifications that would be displayed on your desktop.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
I upgraded to Windows 10 so don't get nagware. Bty - Windows 10 runs smoother, starts much faster, and is more trouble free than Windows 7.

D

Deleted member 178

Linux Skywalker: What have I done?
Darth Umbra: You are fulfilling your destiny, Linux. Become my apprentice. Learn to use the Dark Side of Win10.
Linux Skywalker: I will do whatever you ask. Just help me save my PC life.
Darth Umbra: To cheat BSOD is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together, I know we can discover the secret.
Linux Skywalker: I pledge myself to your teachings. To the ways of the Windows Upgrades.
Darth Umbra: Good. Good. Win10 is strong with you. A powerful Windows user you will become. Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth... Cortana.
Linux Skywalker: Thank you. my Master.
Darth Umbra: Lord Vader... rise.

:D

P.S: i like Win10 , everybody must like it , if not...

Reactions: soccer97

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Usually those tactics should appear before nearly deadline however seems MS didn't reach their target numbers or in short break even numbers. :)

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Next time I will re-install my OS ( Win 7 / Win 8.1) , I will make sure my Windows Update is turned off :p

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Its really simple to solve the issue. Just uninstall and block widows update named KB3035583. You never ever going to see windows 10 upgrade ads there after.

D

Deleted member 178

Microsoft think that forced updates with Win10 will fill part of the holes of malware spreadings, since many users dont even bother update their OS.

They just forget that many users dont want or cant use Win10...

I

illumination

I personally like Windows 10, that said, i believe this type of "in your face" advertising/bullying is very uncalled for. These "accidental" upgrades from MS making the KB responsible for them marked as important was for a lack of better words, a bunch of crap. Instead of owning up to it and calling it an "accident" made this seem even worse. These full screen nag ads, are going to drive people away even faster, one would think MS would understand this. If it were me on W7 and that screen appeared, i would comb the registry and GUT that key out, never to see it again. Just as i did when the first W10 icon appeared and i was not going to upgrade.

Reactions: frogboy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Doesn't appear to be a full screen, anyone got an actual screenshot on a 1280x768 or higher display?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.