Microsoft Office 365 banned from German schools, now illegal

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Schools in the central German state of Hesse have been have been told it's now illegal to use Microsoft Office 365.
The state's data-protection commissioner has ruled that using the popular cloud platform's standard configuration exposes personal information about students and teachers "to possible access by US officials".

That might sound like just another instance of European concerns about data privacy or worries about the current US administration's foreign policy.
Continue reading below

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Yes, MS products take a lot of space so as Adobe products. The alternatives that are available just take around 20 % of space. I always wonder why their software are always so big in size.

Reactions: Divine_Barakah

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, MS products take a lot of space so as Adobe products. The alternatives that are available just take around 20 % of space. I always wonder why their software are always so big in size.
I'm not saying this as a reason to use Office, but Microsoft do offer storage saving options.
For instance, with an Office 365 subscription you do get 1 TB online cloud storage, and you can save disk space by using Files On-Demand with the OneDrive client on Windows 10. Find out more.

L

Local Host

Microsoft Office size on disk, depends entirely on the modules and features you install (which includes a lot more than any Free Office Software).

We still talking about 4GB max size, in average it's around 2GB though (in comparison Libre Office takes 1.5GB, so I can't see that huge difference you talk about), which is far from a lot in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Slightly dated but relevant to Office apps, System requirements for Office 2013
System requirements are rounded up to the nearest 0.5 GB, to be conservative. For example, if we measure an application’s required hard disk space to be 1.99 GB, we recommend 2.5 GB of disk space. Our hard disk system requirements are intentionally larger than the actual disk space usage of the software.

Current install of Office 365 uses 1.68 GB of disk storage space.

In comparison, Chrome uses 1.3GB. It can be reduced down to 600 MB, but only after manually deleting the hidden Installer/browser Cache. If you have multiple non-maintained browsers, you're more than likely to be using more than 2 GB of disk space.

Other Professional software may occupy more disk space, but topped by PC video games that use 5-100 of GB's. However, users who own computers for these purposes generally have plenty of available storage anyway.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.