Malware News Microsoft Office Macros Are Behind 45% of All Delivered Malware Payloads

This is the key. Usually - I find - consumers don't use things like Adobe and Microsoft Office. Openoffice, WPS and Libreoffice are far more common from what I have seen. In fact, we just assisted with a project for a rather large firm using Openoffice. Also keep in mind the migration from SBS/Exchange over to 365, and the vast majority of those users will be using the web apps, which virtually eliminates the threat vector from these things.

I'm actually questioning the validity of even testing such threats anymore.

I just think it is hilarious that some people won't use a security soft because it fails some test against weaponized documents or a bypass\exploit of some program that the person doesn't even use. This behavior is really common on the security forums.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 58943

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Definity is more than half i just love how creater imagine myself numbers just for write news for web usage for readers... its remind me results like in AV-Compratives where all av have almlost 100% and no1 1 even is belove 75-80% xD
and ofc some soft peoples for sure belive in this test and aplauze for hiself Antivirus company :D

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Hmm best way is use M$ Office 2010 portable in virtual system or sandbox...
Simple fast and enought secure ^^

This version 2016 install slower and werid than stand alone full system......

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The problem with the default MS Office setting for macros is that it is easily disabled. Weaponized docs will usually display easy-to follow instructions on how to allow macros, and will bait the user into doing it.
This trick won't work on a security geek, but it might very well work on the security geek's family member.
So if you have MS Office, you should also have OSA or some other solution that keeps scripts under control.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Shmu- The most I have ever saw was a "you must enable macros to view this document". And as the typical Home user wouldn't know the Trust Center if it smacked them in the face they will not know HOW to enable Macros.

The default settings is fine- a person will have to go way out of their way to be prone to such malware (Methinks that some doth Protest too Much).

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Shmu- The most I have ever saw was a "you must enable macros to view this document". And as the typical Home user wouldn't know the Trust Center if it smacked them in the face they will not know HOW to enable Macros.

The default settings is fine- a person will have to go way out of their way to be prone to such malware (Methinks that some doth Protest too Much).
They have an arrow pointing to how to enable the macro. It's not hard, a noob can do it, as long as he is curious to see the contents of the doc.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.