Microsoft officially starts downgrading free Ondrive space from 15gb to 5gb.

kev216

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Microsoft harmed a lot of people last month when it announced plans to stopping unlimited OneDrive storage for Office 365 subscribers and downgrade the free limit from 15GB to just 5GB.So, on Friday, Microsoft apologized to these customers and announced it is changing its policy, again. It is giving them the chance to get their 15GB of free storage back.

Microsoft won’t back unlimited plans
Microsoft is not, however, going back to unlimited free storage. In fact, as Business Insider previously reported, months before Microsoft formally withdrew that promise, the company had been dragging its feet on honoring it.

When Microsoft formally announced it was backtracking, it blamed customer abuse, saying a few people were storing too much stuff in their unlimited OneDrive accounts.

“You’re an important part of what we do, and we want to make sure you know that,” Microsoft said in a note to OneDrive users. “That’s why we’re making it possible for you to keep your base storage quota and camera roll bonus, even after the changes roll out.”

But, listen up: If you want to keep your 15GB of free storage, you’ll need to claim it. Head over to this page and click the button to “Keep your free storage.” Then, when the free storage limit drops to 5GB, and the extra 15GB camera roll bonus is discontinued, your account won’t be affected. The offer is available until Jan. 31.

As Microsoft announced last month, Office 365 subscribers must now make do with 1TB of free space rather than unlimited storage, while 100GB and 200GB new-user paid plans are getting replaced with a 50GB option for $1.99 per month. Those who don’t claim their 15GB before the end of January will be downgraded to a 5GB limit.

Redmond last month blamed the sudden about-face on a few rotten apples spoiling the bunch. In a few rare cases, people “backed up numerous PCs and stored entire movie collections and DVR recordings” in OneDrive, taking up 75TB, or 14,000 times Microsoft’s average.

And the votes and comments were rolling in every since. On Thursday another user was frustrated by Microsoft’s apparent lack of response:

“Who finds it just unbelievable how this thread exploded with no response at all? It makes you wonder just what the hell is going on at Microsoft.”

A Microsoft spokesperson told Business Insider that the new change in storage policy is a direct response to that post that went crazy on UserVoice.

Microsoft is offering people on that forum a chance to sign up to get their 15GB of storage back, and to get back the additional 15GB of photo storage that Microsoft had at one point also promised people.

The spokesperson told us that anyone can request 15GB of storage through the sign-up page, although the announcement would be made on the UserVoice forum first.

The offer will be valid for a year, through January 31 2016, the spokesperson says.

Microsoft also reiterated that those Office 365 customers who were over the new storage cap when Microsoft changed its policy will not be charged for their excess storage for a year. Those using the free OneDrive service who exceeded 5GB can request a free one-year subscription to Office 365, which includes 1TB of storage.

So everyone gets a year to move their files, or to come to terms with paying Microsoft for the OneDrive service.

Here’s the full blog post:

In November we made a business decision to reduce storage limits for OneDrive. Since then, we’ve heard clearly from our Windows and OneDrive fans about the frustration and disappointment we have caused. We realize the announcement came across as blaming customers for using our product. For this, we are truly sorry and would like to apologize to the community.

We realize the announcement came across as blaming customers for using our product. For this, we are truly sorry and would like to apologize to the community.
While we are not changing our overall plans, we’d like to clarify what we are doing for customers impacted by the changes and share a new offer which we hope will go a long way in making the situation better for our biggest fans.

Office 365 Home, Personal, and University subscriptions will continue to include 1 TB of storage. Any subscriber who received additional storage as part of our unlimited offer will keep it for at least 12 months. For anyone unhappy with the decision to not offer unlimited storage, we will offer a full refund.

For customers of our free service who have over 5 GB of content and who are directly impacted by the storage change, we will offer one free year of Office 365 Personal, which includes 1 TB of storage. These customers will receive an email with redemption information early next year.

In addition, for our biggest fans who have been loyal advocates for OneDrive, we are adding a new offer that lets you keep your existing 15 GB of free storage when the changes happen next year. If you also have the 15 GB camera roll bonus, you’ll be able to keep that as well. You can sign up to keep your storage at the link below.

OneDrive

We are all genuinely sorry for the frustration this decision has caused and for the way it was communicated. Thank you for sticking with us.

Not surprisingly, people weren’t pleased with the downgrade.

“You said unlimited MS,” one PCMag commenter wrote. “Someone took you up on what you offered and you are now slamming the door on everyone.”

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Share almost the same view @frogboy , I do not trust! More I end up using very LOL, I just have no important files on onedrive and Google Drive, have more music, videos, etc ... I do not trust, I use as a 3rd backup option.
Particularly I like a lot of cloud storage, the ease of having the file anywhere, just have internet access. I believe it is far from reliable!

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
so what's the link to reclaim your 15 gb?
I don't care if the FBI listens to my audios.

Reactions: Rishi and kev216

kev216

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
so what's the link to reclaim your 15 gb?
I don't care if the FBI listens to my audios.
It was only valid if you let Microsoft know before 31 januari. Like the page now says: You can't claim your 15 gb anymore :(.
You'll recieve an email letter in one of the following weeks from Microsoft to tell you to move your files because it will be downgraded to 5gb if you currently have more than 5 gb on your onedrive.
A bit a stupid change from MS but there are other good ones like for example PCloud which gives you 10 gb for free (+1gb if you install the desktop client) and also others like cubby, google drive, yandex disk...

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
It was only valid if you let Microsoft know before 31 januari. Like the page now says: You can't claim your 15 gb anymore :(.
You'll recieve an email letter in one of the following weeks from Microsoft to tell you to move your files because it will be downgraded to 5gb if you currently have more than 5 gb on your onedrive.
A bit a stupid change from MS but there are other good ones like for example PCloud which gives you 10 gb for free (+1gb if you install the desktop client) and also others like cubby, google drive, yandex disk...
In an account I had made for me to stay with 15GB ah a while ...
I visited that link you provided, to see if I could for my second account because it got 25GB wanted to see if I could the backup of 15GB camera, I could not ... I think Microsoft has been very rigid to reduce the free storage, because of "a 'user that stored everything found on the internet LOL, 75TB, this guy must have an internet of the future (2050) to make uploud it all ... She should limit or something, not decrease free storage and take the backup of camera 15GB.
In my case worth more pay for Google Drive 100GB, for 50GB of onedrive is not enough for me, and do not want to purchase the office package only to have 1TB in onedrive.

Reactions: frogboy and Rishi

kev216

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Btw if you need very much cloud space for free, go to this page and scroll down to 360 Cloud Drive. The Cloud storage by Qihoo offers you 10 TB (!) of free space. Of course it's in chinese and you probably won't get happy when you look at the privacy statements, but if it's for dumping large files that doesn't say anything about you and that are not privacy related, it can be a great choice (of course only for the amount of storage I'm enthousiast :)). For storing more personal files, stay away from this and use others that are mentioned on that page (it's the thirth page, so you can go back)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Simple logic here, build more servers or make a strict policy to record the IP address for possible abuse of service.

Privacy or security? Its up to the services, however OneDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox contains a standard SSL that can be easily crack in such untoward incident.

Unlike Mega which the security is strong enough alongside of large storage space for Free version.

Reactions: jasonX and kev216

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Still fail to see why all the rage happened before like it was a third world war or zombie apocalypse.

Indeed unlimited and well 15gb of storage space is very handy but why exactly would one waste time and band with maximizing the quota for storage in terms of backup is beyond my comprehension...

I have drop box google drive and one drive but I only use as a temporary measure to upload some pics and docs etc before syncing back to my offline backups.

By having offline backups at least you will not face a possible issue of files corruption due to connectivity or when you need the service the most to view your files the service is down for maintenance or whatever reason.

In my opinion 5gb is more than enough.

People rely too much on cloud, is my opinion.

Reactions: jasonX and kev216

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
I have drop box google drive and one drive but I only use as a temporary measure to upload some pics and docs etc before syncing back to my offline backups. By having offline backups at least you will not face a possible issue of files corruption due to connectivity or when you need the service the most to view your files the service is down for maintenance or whatever reason.....People rely too much on cloud, is my opinion.
-- Same here I use cloud backups as temporary locations for when you do not have space at the moment and want to have an immediate backup. After-which I do and get it for my offline backup at home. Having that offline backup handy in your HDD is better especially with people having connectivity issues. Just my two cents :)

Reactions: kev216

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
"People rely too much on cloud, is my opinion."

@Inkurax: Yes you are correct, well some people found it so hard to purchase an external HDD as their backup, so they rely on the cloud especially when the starting storage for free is quite enough.

Likely they have good internet connectivity so its not an issue from them. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.