Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
The last time that Intel really made some strides with X86 architecture was with Sandy Bridge in 2011, since then Intel has been in a greed lazy mode, prioritizing wrong products that failed to make any return (mobile SoC and modems), sticking with quad-core CPUs without SMT for mainstream until Ryzen bomb exploded in their faces and them failing hard to progress with more refined silicon fabs (still 14 nm).

They lost Apple as a costumer, they lost the performance crown for Ryzen 5000, they are losing the enthusiast and budget users, they are getting crushed by AMD Epyc in the server market and they dont have any participation in the mobile arena.

If Intel doesnt innovate and bring value for its users it may become the new IBM, a gigant that will collapse under its own weight.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yeah, like an ultra-dense SuperNova star.

Perhaps in this day, Microsoft is better poised to build a chip that isn't riddled w/vulnerabilities like Intel's is/was. I'm thinking of the Solorigate travesty. Seeing as Microsoft is among those involved in the breach, it can stand to learn a few things, even from its high and mighty know-it-all perch.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
If they do chips as good as smartphones... it will never be an alternative to the market.

Apples and oranges comparison, no, thats not right, it is apple and wine comparison.

The 2020 Microsoft is very different from that Nokia-Microsoft era, you should look at the strides that it made since Nadella leadership, specially in the processor/cloud areas.

It is obvious that Microsoft has enough expertise to design chips and SoCs, they just need to enter Arm's Cortex-X Custom Program and adapt it for what sector they want (servers/domestic usage).

Actually Microsoft with its Pluton processor has probably fixed for good the Spectre/Meltdown kind of vulnerabilities at the hardware level:

Finally, dont forget the close relationship that Microsoft has now with AMD (Xbox Series design), they could do some custom chips designs for Azure servers ...

L

Local Host

Just a quick clarification: Windows Phone as a platform failed due to a cycle where nobody wants to develop apps, due lack of users and users lacked due to no apps.
It won't be the same with SoCs.
Honestly Windows Phone failed cause Microsoft supplied no support for it, if the company that created it doesn't support it, we can't expect third-parties to do the heavy lifting.

Then they down right killed Windows Phone when it was gaining traction, like Microsoft does with most of their products and services.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Honestly Windows Phone failed cause Microsoft supplied no support for it, if the company that created it doesn't support it, we can't expect third-parties to do the heavy lifting.

Then they down right killed Windows Phone when it was gaining traction, like Microsoft does with most of their products and services.
Belfiore also admits he switched to Android, just like Bill Gates, and that Microsoft will support Windows 10 customers who want to use Android and iOS on their phones. One of the big reasons Microsoft is giving up on Windows Phone is because developers never backed the platform. Microsoft had many problems with its Windows Phone app store, and the inability to retain apps once they were developed. “We have tried very hard to incent app devs,” explains Belfiore. “Paid money.. wrote apps 4 them.. but volume of users is too low for most companies to invest.”

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Honestly, when I've bought a computer every 6 or 7 years on average, I haven't based my decision on whether it ran Intel or AMD. By coincidence, my last 3 all had AMD chips, and they all ran well. I do cringe a bit when I see that MS might become involved in chip making, and it makes me think that perhaps I'll take a closer look before buying my next.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Honestly, when I've bought a computer every 6 or 7 years on average, I haven't based my decision on whether it ran Intel or AMD. By coincidence, my last 3 all had AMD chips, and they all ran well. I do cringe a bit when I see that MS might become involved in chip making, and it makes me think that perhaps I'll take a closer look before buying my next.

Dont worry, Microsoft isnt targeting you as a customer for those chips and yes, you should always take a closer look before buying or DIY a computer.

L

Local Host

@McMcbrad Is clear you didn't own a Windows Phone device, Microsoft didn't even release half of their first party APPs on Windows Phone (adding insult to injury they were available on Android and iOS devices).

Microsoft CEO admits repeatedly abandoning consumers was a mistake | Windows Central

Still, rather than hitting refresh, perhaps Nadella should have recommitted to Windows Mobile. That would have preserved relationships needed for this potential device and Microsoft's broader future vision.

You'll have a hard time finding success when you don't support your own ideas, and not letting them grow is a mistake, Windows Phone had more than enough potencial to be a contender.

Nadella's broken consumer, developer, and OEM relationships will invariably affect the company's future.

Killing Windows Phone just dragged UWP with it, developers have no need to waste time porting their APPs to UWP and surely do not trust Microsoft to keep it afloat (considering their track record of chopping off services and devices with almost no warning).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.