Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Microsoft announced plans today to release a version of the company's Microsoft Edge web browser for Apple's iOS and Google's Android operating system.

The release for Apple's iOS operating system seems to be available already, the Android release is still under development. Both releases are currently only available to Windows Insiders who run a copy of the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update on their machine.

All users may open the promotional page for Microsoft Edge for iOS and Android however.
microsoft-edge-ios-android.jpg

This is not the first time that Microsoft brought a web browser to a non-Windows operating system. The company released Internet Explorer for Mac many years ago, but stopped doing so after a while.

Microsoft Edge has been available for Windows 10 only up until now as well, and the release for Android and iOS means that versions of Microsoft Edge will land on non Microsoft operating systems and not on previous versions of Windows that Microsoft still supports.

It is interesting to note that Microsoft did not port Edge to the two mobile platforms. The iOS version is a re-skin of Apple's Safari web browser for iOS more or less. This is the only option to bring browsers to iOS as Apple has a set of restrictions in place that prevent different browsers from being ported to the operating system. This restriction affects other browser developers, Mozilla and Google, as well for instance.

Android does not have these restrictions, but Microsoft made the decision to use Google's Blink browsing engine for the port.

In short: both browsers use a different engine than Microsoft Edge on Windows 10. This begs the question: how much Edge is in the browser?

The promo page provides some details on what Edge for iOS and Android supports:

• Synchronization between Windows 10 PCs and mobile devices, including passwords, favorites, and tabs.
  • Reading View as a readability option to focus on articles and do away with menus, ads and other undesirable elements when reading.
  • Hub View to manage favorites, the reading list, history, and books.
  • Built-in QR Code Reader.
  • Voice Search support.
  • InPrivate browsing mode.
Users who want to give it a go right now need to be signed up for the Windows Insider program. Those interested in the Android version can only enter an email address currently on the page to receive a notification when that version is available. Apple iOS users need to enter their name and Apple ID to get instructions by email from Apple on how to proceed with the installation of Edge on iOS.

L

Local Host

They are destroying they eco-system! Why isn't Edge Windows Mobile only? They are destroying the arguments for a Windows Phone...
Thing is people don't buy Windows Phone because of the applications themselves... But because of the consistency and stability that Android can't offer... I use Windows Phone and I couldn't care less about the applications, I need a phone that runs fast and stable for years (something Android smartphones can't offer, they get fragmented easily) :coffee:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I'll try it but I'm not going to use it, that's for sure. I'm using Chrome on Android because it's stable and fast but it's really heavy. I have to try Opera and Opera Mini as well. :)

L S

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Ok I can confirm that, Opera Mini is much improved, it saves data and it has ads blocker, definitely good (y)

I'll try it but I'm not going to use it, that's for sure. I'm using Chrome on Android because it's stable and fast but it's really heavy. I have to try Opera and Opera Mini as well. :)

And - I know you both know this - but just to say = you can sinc all your data if you have Opera on your computer too. :) :) ;)

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I'm not best placed to give a view really (but i voted no anyway) as i only use my "smart phone" as a .... ummmmm .... phone :oops: but i do quite like the idea of synchronisation from windows to android using Edge although it would be no use to me as i don't have W10 anyway and i am so glad now that i didn't buy a Windows phone when i was choosing one after reading some of the replies, lol.

Cloud9

Level 1
Verified
Apr 22, 2015
yep saving passwords and other information relating to your security online is not wise at all. i use chrome on desktop and have bookmarks but i don't sync on mobile at all. not worth the risk in my opinion

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.