Microsoft puts sexiness ahead of security: Ex-CIA cyber officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread author
"Microsoft,...,is to blame..." for poor security on Windows PCs and devices. Nobody else. It's common sense.

Until Microsoft changes Windows, nothing will change. And guess what... Microsoft isn't going to change. It will give you the appearance that it is changing Windows, but in reality it is fundamentally changing nothing.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
If anyone has security or adblocking like me they can 'rarely' load ad-loaded videos on major news sites. As such, here's a youtube link for the above video. Just in case.

Reactions: AtlBo and ZeroDay
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
Intelligence operative spotted..

int.png

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
Time for me to say Goodbye to Windows once and for all I think. I'll start by wiping my main system in the morning.

If you aren't a major gamer, or require a specific windows only piece of software then there shouldn't be any reason to run Windows to be honest. Any good Linux Distro should serve you very very nicely and completely remove yourself from the security theater surrounding Windows.

The biggest worry with a quality linux distro/Debian/BSD/ChromeOS is getting bored.. Paint some pictures, type some Libre Office documents. Browse some web pages. Never worry about security, security products or hacks again? This house is getting really boring since 90% of our infrastructure is Debian, Linux, ChromeOS..

My wife was on her Chromebook today for about 3 hours getting some work done and browsing. I got a little anxiety seeing her on it, until I realized it was a Chromebook. Meh, walked past and felt useless suddenly.

PS: My main boxes can't ever run Linux/Debian. My hardware is too new and largely unsupported, NVME drives, etc. Not even recognized by any builds out there... So be advised, Linux isn't the silver bullet for everyone..

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
PS: My main boxes can't ever run Linux/Debian. My hardware is too new and largely unsupported, NVME drives, etc. Not even recognized by any builds out there... So be advised, Linux isn't the silver bullet for everyone..

Debian is not designed to support new hardware. Debian's kernel is old and therefore there is no new software/driver, but the system is the most stable. If you want your hardware to work, I'd go to ArchLinux. There you will find drivers in the Arch User Repsitory. Or maybe Fedora?
If you search long enough, you will quickly find solutions. After all, the fast NVME drives should also run on servers in the datacenter, otherwise they would not sell themselves, and 99.9% of them run linux!

I

illumination

Thread author
Time for me to say Goodbye to Windows once and for all I think. I'll start by wiping my main system in the morning.
Nothing wrong with that. I have 2 systems in the house, but only one listed here at the forum. My other system, a laptop, is running openSUSE Tumbleweed. It is my main daily driver, where the desktop "shared system" is mainly used by the rest of my family.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
If you aren't a major gamer, or require a specific windows only piece of software then there shouldn't be any reason to run Windows to be honest. Any good Linux Distro should serve you very very nicely and completely remove yourself from the security theater surrounding Windows.

The biggest worry with a quality linux distro/Debian/BSD/ChromeOS is getting bored.. Paint some pictures, type some Libre Office documents. Browse some web pages. Never worry about security, security products or hacks again? This house is getting really boring since 90% of our infrastructure is Debian, Linux, ChromeOS..

My wife was on her Chromebook today for about 3 hours getting some work done and browsing. I got a little anxiety seeing her on it, until I realized it was a Chromebook. Meh, walked past and felt useless suddenly.

I'm already multibooting with Win 10, Solus OS, Linux Mint, Ubuntu 18.04 beta, Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 beta (Very nice distro as is Solus where the Budgie desktop originated) And free BSD. I love GNU/Linux/Unix based systems and I really have no specific need for Windows at all. You hit the nail on the head with the boredom part. It's only when I'm using a GNU/Linux distro that I realize just how much time I waste on Windows with third party security software lol. And, that where the multi-booting different distros comes in. I tweak my Linux install with a custom kernel and App Armour on Ubuntu but that's about it. I've actually been using my Linux Mint Cinnamon install all morning and it's been such a breath of fresh air. I've just booted into Windows 10 and I'm seriously considering wiping my Windows drive and extending my Solus OS or Mint partition. I'm a lot more productive on Linux/Unix systems than I am on Windows. No matter what I need to get done whilst using Windows I always find myself getting distracted by either reading about or trying various third party security software. I'm in 2 minds on whether or not to just leave my Windows 10 partition as it is because it's only on a small partition anyway so I can still boot into a real Windows 10 install now and then instead of just using Windows 10 in a VM, or just saying goodbye to Windows once and for all.

But, as I mentioned above I'm definitely a lot more productive whilst using Linux/Unix I actually get stuff done lol.

I

illumination

Thread author
I'm already multibooting with Win 10, Solus OS, Linux Mint, Ubuntu 18.04 beta, Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 beta (Very nice distro as is Solus where the Budgie desktop originated) And free BSD. I love GNU/Linux/Unix based systems and I really have no specific need for Windows at all. You hit the nail on the head with the boredom part. It's only when I'm using a GNU/Linux distro that I realize just how much time I waste on Windows with third party security software lol. And, that where the multi-booting different distros comes in. I tweak my Linux install with a custom kernel and App Armour on Ubuntu but that's about it. I've actually been using my Linux Mint Cinnamon install all morning and it's been such a breath of fresh air. I've just booted into Windows 10 and I'm seriously considering wiping my Windows drive and extending my Solus OS or Mint partition. I'm a lot more productive on Linux/Unix systems than I am on Windows. No matter what I need to get done whilst using Windows I always find myself getting distracted by either reading about or trying various third party security software. I'm in 2 minds on whether or not to just leave my Windows 10 partition as it is because it's only on a small partition anyway so I can still boot into a real Windows 10 install now and then instead of just using Windows 10 in a VM, or just saying goodbye to Windows once and for all.

But, as I mentioned above I'm definitely a lot more productive whilst using Linux/Unix I actually get stuff done lol.
You can always throw windows 10 in a VM on linux ;) Matter of fact, really no safer way to run windows :D

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Debian is not designed to support new hardware. Debian's kernel is old and therefore there is no new software/driver, but the system is the most stable. If you want your hardware to work, I'd go to ArchLinux. There you will find drivers in the Arch User Repsitory. Or maybe Fedora?
If you search long enough, you will quickly find solutions. After all, the fast NVME drives should also run on servers in the datacenter, otherwise they would not sell themselves, and 99.9% of them run linux!
Yeah, I'd advise installing the latest kernel and the drivers will be avaible somewhere, but, as you say Arch will have support for the latest hardware or Arch based systems. Solus unstable even though it's very stable should also support the latest hardware. I custom compile my kernels etc so my hardware is always working.

Reactions: AlanOstaszewski

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Nothing wrong with that. I have 2 systems in the house, but only one listed here at the forum. My other system, a laptop, is running openSUSE Tumbleweed. It is my main daily driver, where the desktop "shared system" is mainly used by the rest of my family.
I've used OpenSUSE in the past and Everytime I've installed it the install has gone flawlessly. I might replace my Windows partition with SUSE.

You can always throw windows 10 in a VM on linux ;) Matter of fact, really no safer way to run windows :D
You literally read my mind lol.

Reactions: illumination
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.