Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Microsoft Re-Releases Windows Telemetry Updates KB2952664 and KB2976978

Even though this month’s Patch Tuesday was delayed, Microsoft rolled out non-security Office updates this week, targeting both Office 2013 and Office 2016 with a total of 17 patches.

But what’s more interesting is that this week, the company also re-released two patches there were previously linked to telemetry data collection in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

First and foremost, the Office patches. Microsoft shipped 5 different updates for Office 2013, with dedicated patches for OneDrive, Project, and Visio. Then, there’s Office 2016, which is getting not only general patches, but also updates that are specifically aimed at Access, OneDrive for Business, PowerPoint, Project, Publisher, and Visio, bringing the total count to 12 updates.

Telemetry patches
In addition to these Office updates, Microsoft is also re-releasing KB2952664 and KB2976978 for Windows 7 and 8.1, respectively for a reason that’s not yet known.

As Woody Leonhard of InfoWorld notes, these updates first showed up at a time when everyone was struggling to deal with the infamous Get Windows 10 (GWX) app, though Microsoft specifically mentions that they are not related to this application in any way.

Their official KB pages indeed indicate that both updates were re-released on March 7, while their descriptions point out that only users who are part of the Windows Consumer Experience Improvement Program should get them.

“This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program. The diagnostics evaluate the compatibility status of the Windows ecosystem, and help Microsoft to ensure application and device compatibility for all updates to Windows. There is no GWX or upgrade functionality contained in this update,” the description reads.

It's not yet clear what these new updates are supposed to do, but given the fact that they’re more or less linked with telemetry activity, some users are kind of reticent when it comes to installing them. We’ve asked Microsoft to provide more information about these patches and we’ll update the article when and if an answer is provided.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Not really scared. I have the telemetry enabled. I worry a little bit that disabling or meddling in such things are A. Futile or B. Potentially unsafe with consequences such as possible system instability. A little life story. I was watching this video quite a while ago out of curiosity. I kept watching until he got to the part of disabling smart-screen. My personal opinion is that security and privacy are not the same. I would rather have some targeted ads rather than my computer being unbootable. Smart-screen though may collect some sorts of data is there to protect you. That's my word on it and I may disagree with some but their opinion still needs the same respect as someone I would agree with.

Thanks! :D

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
There are many opinions about the telemetry and data collection, but honestly I'm not worried about it.
We are all on the radar, always and anyway.
But I wanted to say: we accept an EULA when we install a program, an operating system, so we accept their conditions, but....who reads the EULA? :D

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
They just won't give up. Data collection must be really important to them when they insist on installing telemetry updates. I'm hiding it, again!

Untitled.png Screenshot_1.png

Reactions: Parsh and tonibalas
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.