Microsoft Reissues Botched Windows 7 Update KB3097877

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Microsoft has recently reissued one of the botched Patch Tuesday updates that were causing problems on Windows 7 and 8.1 computers, but it appears that the new version is only available on the former.

KB3097877 update caused various issues on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, including sudden crashes of Outlook email client, as well as errors with desktop gadgets.

But a revised version of the update is now available via Windows Update and comes to fix all these problems, with Microsoft addressing all issues in less than 24 hours, which is pretty much the company’s fastest response in the case of a botched update.

Windows 7 fixes
According to the company, the revised bulletin addresses two different problems on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2:

Resolves crashing that occurred in all supported versions of Microsoft Outlook when users were reading certain email messages.
Resolves problems that occurred while users were logging on to the system. For example, after a user restarted the computer and then pressed Ctrl+Alt+Delete at the logon screen, the screen flashed and then went black. The user was then unable to continue. There may be other, similar logon issues that are related to this issue.
There are users, however, who are no longer capable of logging on to their Windows 7 computers, and Microsoft also provides guidance that could help them if such a problem is occurring.

First and foremost, you should try disconnecting any digitizer devices, and in case this doesn’t work, recover the system by restoring to the latest backup. A third option is to uninstall security update KB3097877 from the command line by booting in repair mode and entering the following command:

Code:
dism /image:C:\ /remove-package /PackageName:Package_for_KB3097877~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.1

Obviously, it’s not at all encouraging to see Microsoft shipping botched updates these days, but hats off to the company for fixing all problems so fast.

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
I no longer download Win7 updates so, I am immune to this nonsense. I simply hide the so called updates. These updates have never saved me from getting infected in the past.:eek:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.