Microsoft renames Diagnostic Tracking Service to Connected User Experiences and Telemetry

Av Gurus

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Microsoft launched the first big update for its Windows 10 operating system this month and while it introduced several new features and much-needed improvements, issues were reported as well.

Probably the most common one was that Microsoft rest some or even all default apps and settings in the update.

If you are not observant about those things, you may not have noticed that settings were reset to their default values which, at least where privacy comes into play, is quite problematic.

While it does not take long to restore the previous settings and make other apps the default programs again on Windows 10, something like this should never have happened in first place.

Windows 10 version 1511 ships with another change that may cause confusion at first.

1.jpg

The Diagnostics Tracking Service is a core tracking service of the operating system that controls data collection.

One option that you had in the past was to disable the service using the Services Console to block the data collecting from happening.

If you check Services after the major update, you will notice that the Diagnostics Tracking Service is gone.

Did Microsoft listen to users for once? No, they did not. Microsoft renamed the service instead which means that you will find it listed under its new name Connected User Experiences and Telemetry instead.

It is unclear why Microsoft changed the name in the update. One explanation would be to make it clearer what the service does but since Microsoft did not announce the change, the motive behind the change is unclear.

This means however that you will have to disable that service after the update to Windows 10 Build 1511 if you don't want the diagtrack service to run on the system.

2.jpg

L

LabZero

The implied meaning of this article: change the name of the service but ... not the way.

I do not doubt the utility of telemetry (and similar services) as tools to improve the software, just that it seems to me curious
that has been introduced recently in Windows 7 (on Windows 8.1 there are already the apps and might make sense).
It is useful for statistical purposes, and to understand the dynamics of using Windows 7 since Windows 10, and implement
in the latter some improvements that can be acceptable to those who still hasn't updated ... or Windows 7 users should expect some improvement or new features?
It seems to me strange that Microsoft, with all that It needs to push Windows 10, the Store and the unification of the platform,
do something to make a better product (Win 7) that it would like to get rid even tomorrow...

Reactions: Sr. Normal
H

hjlbx

Elaborate please :)

Problem is not that M$ collects infos. The problem is their info use policies = will share with any and all 3rd parties without restriction at M$' own discretion.

M$ collects infos not only via services (e.g. Telemetry) on your system, but continuously from your M$ Account, Akamai, M$ Store, Windows Apps, etc, etc.

In short User Experience and Telemetry are just the tip of the iceberg.

I just don't like the data use policies - but alas - there isn't much that can be done about it unless everyone protests - and protests vigorously - together.

Dig deep into topic online and you will be surprised...

H

hjlbx

It is not "Tin Foil Hat" syndrome. It is principle of the matter + this is how erosion of privacy all starts.

Erosion of privacy has been occurring for years now. Slowly, but most surely, more and more of your personal data is collected, shared, analyzed, tracked... and, that data, can be used for good or ill.

Is M$ "bad guy?" Not quite...

but I say "Trust No One and Suspect Everyone" = I came up in the Soviet Era. :D

Reactions: Secondmineboy

Av Gurus

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Problem is not that M$ collects infos. The problem is their info use policies = will share with any and all 3rd parties without restriction at M$' own discretion.

M$ collects infos not only via services (e.g. Telemetry) on your system, but continuously from your M$ Account, Akamai, M$ Store, Windows Apps, etc, etc.

What is Akamai?
Here is pictures of PeerBlock:

Clipboard01.jpg

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
MS just trying to make a chicken look like anything else then...a chicken but if it still sounds ( cluck ) like a chicken and walks like a chicken...it's probably just a chicken! ;)

9mMb82MK.png

Reactions: hjlbx

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I think I should transfer to Linux family..... :cool:
Microsoft, you did serve me well for the past 12 years with your OS and MS Office, but your stuff are way to pricey for people like me :p

H

hjlbx

I think I should transfer to Linux family..... :cool:

Linux is OK if you can get it to work with all your hardware and drivers; most people have problems with this sort of thing, tire of it, and return to Windows.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Linux is OK if you can get it to work with all your hardware and drivers; most people have problems with this sort of thing, tire of it, and return to Windows.

I guess the only hurdle is my nVidia support on Linux. Guess I would hv to get Mr. Torvald to help me repeat that "stance" again ... lol

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
I guess the only hurdle is my nVidia support on Linux. Guess I would hv to get Mr. Torvald to help me repeat that "stance" again ... lol

Whats your GPU Model? Some Linux systems like Linux Mint (Which i can strongly recommend BTW) has a built-In Driver manager that lists you up any drivers that are usable with your hardware and you just select which one you want to use :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since the article stated that the motive of Microsoft is not clear why name has been changed, then one thing for sure allegations will be always deny as users will be inform to read the privacy policy instead.

Still its been a bind that a company may perform well however dirty tactics may remain hidden as part of continuous success. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.