Microsoft researchers used a laser to encode Warner Bros. 'Superman' on a piece of glass

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I don't know how I missed this! Anyone remember hearing about this? Fantastic possibilities from using glass as storage!

Microsoft researchers used a laser to encode Warner Bros. 'Superman' on a piece of glass, and the results are striking
Microsoft said its researchers stored the Warner Bros. film "Superman" on a piece of quartz glass the size of a coaster.
The glass is designed to last hundreds of years and withstand being baked, microwaved, scoured, doused in water, demagnetized, and subject to "other environmental threats."

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Around 10 - 15 years ago I saw a science program on TV which showed scientists trying to use crystal as a data storage device. It was stated that data could be stored in 3 dimension. Some thing like an 1cm cube crystal will be able to store data equal to many HDDs. Lets hope this is the same thing.

MonSpyder9

Level 2
May 4, 2020
Around 10 - 15 years ago I saw a science program on TV which showed scientists trying to use crystal as a data storage device. It was stated that data could be stored in 3 dimension. Some thing like an 1cm cube crystal will be able to store data equal to many HDDs. Lets hope this is the same thing.
Sounds awesome. Imagine that you could use a fancy crystal as a nice decoration and a secret storage device for all your... Sensitive information ;)

Reactions: Tutman

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Think about the movie Microsoft stored. Superman... remember the cave with the "crystals" of data from his home planet? ;) IF they could fast track the technology, goodbye HD's and mechanical failures!

Reactions: The_King

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
What happens if you drop that piece of glass and it becomes scratched or even shatters?

:rolleyes:

• Sad
Reactions: Tutman

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Think about the movie Microsoft stored. Superman... remember the cave with the "crystals" of data from his home planet? ;) IF they could fast track the technology, goodbye HD's and mechanical failures!

I was going the post the same. I did make the connection has to why they decided to encode Superman of all the movies they could have encoded.

In the TV series Smallville there are also similar crystal and glass like data storage devices. Most of them held vast amounts of data.

Reactions: show-Zi

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
If I record the data, will the glass become frosted glass?:unsure::LOL:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.