Microsoft Says the World Is Using Windows 10 More and More

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Windows 10 is already the number one desktop operating system world, and this makes total sense given Microsoft has already retired Windows 7 back in January.

And with so many devices being upgraded to Windows 10, it was just a matter of time until it managed to secure the leading place, with the market share likely to continue to grow in the coming months and years.

And Panos Panay, the Chief Product Officer at Windows and Devices, says the company is also seeing increased usage on Windows 10.

“As a team we have been spending a lot of time with our customers, OEM partners and teams inside and outside of the company listening and learning. The feedback we are hearing is energizing, and if one thing is clear it is that Windows plays a critical role in helping people navigate the times we are in. Customers are using Windows PCs to stay productive, connect and learn in this time. In fact, over 4 trillion minutes are being spent on Windows 10 a month, a 75% increase year on year,” he says (emphasis is ours).

New product categories

This is without a doubt good news for Microsoft, especially as the company wants to bring everyone to Windows 10.

And at the same time, it’s also good news for users, as the increase is leaving proof that many have upgraded from unsupported Windows versions to Windows 10.

Sticking with Windows 7 is no longer recommended, as the lack of security patches could turn a device into a sitting duck in front of hackers out there.

The increase in Windows 10 usage is expected to grow as Microsoft also expands in new product categories. The company has already announced a dual-screen device called Surface Neo and powered by Windows 10X, with the debut now expected next year.

Together with partners, Microsoft is thus trying to bring the power of Windows beyond the traditional desktop, which means that overall, the usage of Windows 10 overall could increase even further. How much is something that is impossible to anticipate right now.

Source

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Different story here- macOS and Ubuntu Increase; Windows decline
Microsoft, it seems like the operating system’s market share dropped, from 57.34% in March to 56.08% in April.

This is the latest release from Apple for its Mac and MacBook devices, and it recorded a pretty decent leap to 4.15%, up from 3.41% the month before.

Uncomfortably for Microsoft, another of its rivals, the Linux distribution Ubuntu, also recorded a big leap, from 0.27% in March to 1.89% in April. Combined with other distros, the open-source operating system Linux is now sitting at 2.86%.
Source: Bad news for Windows 10 as users shift to Ubuntu and macOS

Chuck57

Level 9
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Love Apple computers. I've played with one at a friend's home, and it didn't take but a few minutes to get comfortable with using it. The downsides are, I can buy 3 or 4 Windows PCs for what that Apple laptop cost, and programs I use regularly and need aren't available on Apple. Linux is much faster and becoming easier to use, but software vital to me isn't available. I don't think I'm alone regarding cost for an Apple, or the lack of convenience in using Linux programs.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The downsides are, I can buy 3 or 4 Windows PCs
Realistically speaking, no one does that.

Let's say you have bank to buy a $1600 on a rMBP, but don't. You are still likely to spend a $1600 on a Premium Laptop or Custom Desktop PC, because that is what you want. Not because one is cheaper than the other. Point proven with Linux lacking vital software. Cost is invalid.

Chuck57

Level 9
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Cost matters to some people. I'd love to have an Apple laptop, but I can't afford it, so I buy a cheap HP. When it dies, I buy another, and another. The Apple might last longer but the initial outlay is beyond my means. That's what I meant. As for Linux, it's come a long way and I could be happy with it, except for buying compatible software when I already have it in the Windows version. It isn't a matter of being cheap, or frugal; it's a matter of being retired on a fixed income and not being able to afford some things.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I would never ditch Windows for macOS or Linux. In my opinion, Windows is far superior to macOS, which I find very frustrating to use.

I don't mind Linux, but see no point in using it, when in my case, Windows is for the most part, fast, problem free and malware free.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.