Microsoft Says Windows 7 Has Outdated Security, Wants You to Move to Windows 10

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Windows 10 is now running on more than 20 percent of the world’s desktop computers, and yet, Microsoft’s bigger challenge isn’t necessarily to boost the market share of its latest operating system, but to convince those on Windows 7 to upgrade.

Even with Windows 10 on the market, Windows 7 continues to be the preferred desktop operating system across the world, and third-party data shows that it’s still close to 50 percent market share.

With Windows 7 support coming to an end in 3 years, Microsoft is well aware that it could very well experience another Windows XP moment when users might refuse to upgrade despite the obvious security risks.

So it shouldn’t come as a big surprise that Microsoft has already started the offensive against Windows 7, with a blog post published by the German subsidiary of the software giant pointing to the setbacks of this old operating system as compared to Windows 10.
“Windows 10, the better option”
In just a few words, Microsoft says that Windows 7 doesn’t come with the security features needed to cope with today’s threats, at the same time adding that Windows 10 has what it takes to keep users secure.

“Windows 7 is based on outdated security architecture,” Microsoft says. “Companies and users who won’t upgrade from Windows 7 within the next three years are facing enormous dangers,” the company continues as per an approximate Google Translate English version of the post (via Myce).

Microsoft then goes on to praise Windows 10 and the security improvements that are part of the operating system, while also emphasizing that the new hardware is specifically designed to work on this version. The firm also highlights Windows 10 features, such as Windows Ink, Edge browser, and Cortana.

Without a doubt, it will be hard for Microsoft to convince Windows 7 users to upgrade to Windows 10, especially when taking into account that most of those sticking with this version previously refused a free upgrade offer.

On the other hand, this is just the beginning of Microsoft’s efforts to move users off Windows 7, so expect more such posts in the coming months.

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
I really like Windows 10, but they shouldn't start reducing security updates on Windows 7, to basically force people to change to it. That has serious ethical issues. Microsoft has some real customer relationship issues they need sorting out. they've only just recovered from the dog-poo that was Windows 8, because they didn't listen to users, and forcibly trying to make people upgrade to Windows 10 by making it an update.

I think they'd be better making the free upgrade (or a cheap upgrade) offer again, to those people who didn't do it last time. Now Windows 10 has been shown to be a good stable system, people who were put off by the Windows 8 mess might be more willing to upgrade. Using scare tactics isn't the way.

The problem is to the average user there's no real advantage to Windows 10. Windows Ink is no good unless you have a touch screen, Edge browser isn't remarkable, and Cortana is kind of one of those wow factors whose novelty quickly wears off and is not really that useful.

Add to that the fact that Windows 7 still looks a lot better in terms of interface than Windows 10, which gives the impression of Work in Progress and you've not got a strong reason for people to upgrade.

Last edited:

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
I really wonder if Windows 7 is really more dangerous to get infected than 10 in real world. The improvements and mitigations are there, but the real world scene depends on a lot of factors.
I think hackers etc will always go for the most popular O/S at the time. Since Windows 7 is more popular than Windows 10 at the moment it is more likely to be attacked. But Microsoft should continue to do security updates to counter this, not pass the buck and say you have to go to Windows 10.

You only have to look at Apple to see hackers will go for more popular O/Ss. Apple computers used to not even need virus checkers and Apple used to crow about it, but the main reason it wasnt attacked was because it only had a small share of the market. Now its popular attacks are becoming more frequent.

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
I really like Windows 10, but they shouldn't start reducing security updates on Windows 7, to basically force people to change to it. That has serious ethical issues. Microsoft has some real customer relationship issues they need sorting out. they've only just recovered from the dog-poo that was Windows 8, because they didn't listen to users, and forcibly trying to make people upgrade to Windows 10 by making it an update.

I think they'd be better making the free upgrade (or a cheap upgrade) offer again, to those people who didn't do it last time. Now Windows 10 has been shown to be a good stable system, people who were put off by the Windows 8 mess might be more willing to upgrade. Using scare tactics isn't the way.

The problem is to the average user there's no real advantage to Windows 10. Windows Ink is no good unless you have a touch screen, Edge browser isn't remarkable, and Cortana is kind of one of those wow factors whose novelty quickly wears off and is not really that useful.

Add to that the fact that Windows 7 still looks a lot better in terms of interface than Windows 10, which gives the impression of Work in Progress and you've not got a strong reason for people to upgrade.
Agree with
Win 10 is not always great update to win 7, there are many problems with it. If you don't have a bios update from win 7 to 8 many problems will occur

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Just proving that most users don't care at all about security, or plain don't think about it.
Either that or believe having a updated signature based AV solution is enough.

As for "forcing" people to upgrade...as a individual I believe it is a wrong pratice.

But as a business man it makes alot of sense. More security keeping more customers happy and at the same time gaining a few more $

and sadly $ is the name of the game.

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
Microsoft offering to Windows 8.1 users also to upgrade to Windows 10,
but i remember just this recently read somewhere about that Windows 8.1 is more secure and have less bugs than Windows 10 during 2016 !
maybe Windows XP was the best ? : )) looks like the older was better !
We all know that XP was the best OS, simple and stable. MS replace it with vista which will be called win 7. Not bad upgrade but Win 8 and on is a mess. Thats why MS added the hybrid shutdown so users will not wait 2 minutes just to turn on the pc.

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
We all know that XP was the best OS, simple and stable. MS replace it with vista which will be called win 7. Not bad upgrade but Win 8 and on is a mess. Thats why MS added the hybrid shutdown so users will not wait 2 minutes just to turn on the pc.
The problem to me with Windows 10 is it feels like a work in progress. It hasnt even got a consistent interface - some icons are Metro some are old windows 7 style, some even XP style. Even the Metro ones are inconsistent; some are pure white against a colour (the standard Metro style), some are B&W (toned), some are coloured. WMP is old Windows 7 style, but the Films & TV app is new style. Microsoft should really finish off the job before going off and adding new features. I got so frustrated I made my own set of icons:

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Set-of-Metro-style-icons-for-Windows-10-Start-Menu-651907223

and some other users have had goes at changing WMP:
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Windows-10-Media-Player-Facelift-584696519

But this is really a job Microsoft, and professional artists should do, not amateurs like myself.

I can't help feeling the rushing to add new features, is because there is no real killer app that makes upgrading to Windows 10 a must do, rather than a could do.

This is nothing but another part of Microsoft's aggressive campaign to get everyone to transition to W10.

If Microsoft can get enough users to transition to W10, then they will be justified in accelerating end-of-life for their other fragmented user-base OSes. Pulling this off would save the corporation billions of dollars. The corporation's stated, ultimate objective is to support only one OS. The implicit other side to that stated objective is that the corporation wants to kill off all pre-10 Windows versions.

Does anyone read annual shareholder reports ?

If Microsoft could get away with it, then they would deactivate all non-W10 licenses - leaving users no other choice except 10.

That's my take on it.

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
The implicit other side to that stated objective is that the corporation wants to kill off all pre-10 Windows versions.
That's my take on it.

Well, I can't blame them for trying to remove ALL traces of Windows 8. That was a major foobar in customer relations, and an embarrassment to their HCI experience.

Reactions: done

The problem to me with Windows 10 is it feels like a work in progress. It hasnt even got a consistent interface - some icons are Metro some are old windows 7 style, some even XP style. Even the Metro ones are inconsistent; some are pure white against a colour (the standard Metro style), some are B&W (toned), some are coloured. WMP is old Windows 7 style, but the Films & TV app is new style. Microsoft should really finish off the job before going off and adding new features. I got so frustrated I made my own set of icons:

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Set-of-Metro-style-icons-for-Windows-10-Start-Menu-651907223

and some other users have had goes at changing WMP:
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Windows-10-Media-Player-Facelift-584696519

But this is really a job Microsoft, and professional artists should do, not amateurs like myself.

I can't help feeling the rushing to add new features, is because there is no real killer app that makes upgrading to Windows 10 a must do, rather than a could do.

Windows 10 is built for one primary purpose - a mobile entertainment platform that integrates all Microsoft products.

Microsoft designed 10 so that users can\will easily spend hundreds of dollars on Microsoft games, movies, apps, software subscriptions, etc.

It's a money funnel that takes full advantage of people's craving and weakness for convenience... and that convenience comes at a premium cost.

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
and that convenience comes at a premium cost.
Not just in money, but in privacy too.

To be fair though, they are only trying to do what Apple have been doing for a very long time...

Its one of the main reasons I jailbroke my iTouch; to remove the endless iAds, and fix privacy concerns (the amount of 'private' data being passed is on well on par with that sent by Windows 10).

Last edited:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Fine with Windows 10. Haven't spent a single cent inside the MS store. My opinion is that 10 has better security than 7 with the including Smartscreen and probably a few other features. I have had zero problems with the OS and not going to complain. :)

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Windows 10 was unstable so I went back to Windows 8.1. But these bugs will get fixed. My biggest problem is that it doesn't give option to turn off automatic updates in home version. I won't buy pro just for this. Updates are good thing, I wouldn't have problem with them but Windows updates are always problematic. They're inefficient, using 10-20% of CPU on background and they tend to break system a lot. So I disable the automatic updates and manually do it once every 3-4 weeks. I'm also not a fan of metro design.

Reactions: done

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.