Microsoft Store starts selling Windows Hello BIO-key fingerprint readers for $40

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Microsoft has started selling three fingerprint readers from BIO-Key that support the Windows Hello security features in Windows 10 PCs. The devices are available at Microsoft's retail stores and on its website for $39.99 each.

The three products include the BIO-key SideSwipe Mini Fingerprint Reader and the SideTouch Fingerprint Reader, both of which connect directly to a Windows 10 PC or tablet. There's also the EcoID Fingerprint Reader, which uses a USB cord to connect the PC to the reader.

Read more: http://www.windowscentral.com/micro...-windows-hello-bio-key-fingerprint-readers-40

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Hmm.. that makes it easier to hack into the PC. Just chop off the hand the system is yours. :D

Jokes aside, this is a good initiative. Secure wise, I have no comment since I have no idea how it performs yet atm.
Would I buy it? NO.
I don't need a sophisticated secure key to lock my PC to protect from intruders. If thats the case then I can't help but wondered what are they going to get from a single broke guy. :rolleyes:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
no good to me i have no touchscreen devices to use it on but if i did i may use just because anything to make easier is good. :)

My bad a touch screen is not needed, not sure how that works though. o_O

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
no good to me i have no touchscreen devices to use it on but if i did i may use just because anything to make easier is good. :)
It doesn't require a touch screen brother. :p

I had a FP login for my Dell XPS gaming laptop that my wife now owns, it is faster than passwords but that is where the perks end for me.
I would think about it if I worked in an industry or environment where this would add more privacy. I like the target audience for that add,
they pointed it in the right direction, the average home user would not benefit greatly from adding this. The price is not too bad now.
Thanks Jack :)

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
It does not require a "Touch Screen" "no"
Thanks for clearing that up. I use a FP reader on my Windows 8.1 laptop, so it would be nice to do the same on my Windows 10 desktop PC. Hopefully they'll become available in the UK Microsft store.

I have to ask how its works without a touchscreen i would like to know. ;)

As far as I can tell its simply a usb device that replaces the need to type in your login password using a physical or touch screen keyboard. So having a touch screen PC is not necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Would buy the RealSense camera even though it's double the price. I just have bad experience with fingerprint readers and putting my hand on this is the same effort as typing a password.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Would buy the RealSense camera even though it's double the price. I just have bad experience with fingerprint readers and putting my hand on this is the same effort as typing a password.

Not the same effort if you have to enter a 20+ character password ;)

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

exCode

Level 3
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
I want it.. but it's so useless (for me, anyways) that I don't want it. I can't decide :/

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Bio-key devices can grant a PC a strong level of security and can increase the security of devices DRAMATICALLY but for this to work you are talking governmental and military networks, gateways and servers. Sure you got yourself a nice database with all the employees fingerprint, maybe a retina scan and lets just add for the sake of argument voice key. Now some dude is going to his work, first he has to pass the fingerprint and retina scan, which he activates with his voice. Then finally when he reaches his desk he can start the computer using his credentials and password which go together with a special USB key. Now this scenario shows a pretty strong level of security right?

Yet ask yourself the question would you really need that at home? Being in the industry myself for more then a decade did learn me one thing.
Even companies with the highest security clearance are not much safer then a responsible computer user, the fact however is that with social media and mass surveillance in mind and the new pending laws in the US it becomes pretty clear that BIO based credentials do not really contribute to YOUR security, but with Windows 10 + BIO keys you got yourself one EPIC fingerprint, user habits/profile, user interests + daily actions and you got direct access to all media including connected devices and the cherry on the pie is? EVERYONE will be using it which means that a government has one kick-ass source of info about anyone at anytime + at least 1 years worth of history. And the really nice thing is? They can say it was not us who did it but Microsoft. Funny is that right? Yet for example US law states explicitly that companies MUST have data retention and if requested in 9 out of 10 cases the data will either be shared trough direct and public channels, or trough the background or as the new hype of the moment being fetched by a automated program that has 24/7 access.
These practices are not a conspiracy theory and neither are they just a rare case. Those who use windows 10 just do yourself a favor read the EULA, Privacy policy but more important: Microsoft data retention policy. And then ask yourself the question are BIO credential devices really going to make your "home" computer + network safer? Does Microsoft really do me a favor by selling me this device for little less then 40 bucks?

Other then the above OBVIOUS privacy issues and i only named a few, the device itself can be really helpful since more and more companies and governments are going the biometric way for civilians to be able to login to a government site, tax site and such. So from that perspective it would make things more easy. Anyway at a few clients we use BIO based credentials and its easy, no passwords or anything needed just make sure you bring your eyes and hands.... it would be awkward if you manage to lose those lol.... Well look at the bright side maybe roboform will make a pass remember option for you... click on the link and a spare set of eyes come out LOLOLOLOLOL

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Not the same effort if you have to enter a 20+ character password ;)
A bit longer password for me, but I have had it for 8 yrs and never had it hit ;)
I change my other passwords every 6 mos, but my OS PW is very old in PW years.

Reactions: frogboy and SHvFl

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How about this, all Microsoft-own devices come with a Fingerprint reader.
  • Surface Pro
  • Surface Book
  • Mobile
  • Band
Security should be thought with their design.

As an additional bonus, it should be compatible with certified Windows 10 devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
How about this, all Microsoft-own devices come with a Fingerprint reader.
  • Surface Pro
  • Surface Book
  • Mobile
  • Band
Security should be thought with their design, not over the top.
They will probably add them tbh plus the realsense cameras. What i would also like to see is adding it in their mouse without pushing the price at stupid limit. Being able to authenticate while keeping my hand on the mouse it's gold for me.

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Good for corporations. I know I have to use way too many passwords at work to access x,y,z, which need replacement every 3 months, what a headache. And one email to an average Joe or Jane is all it takes to compromise that nonsense.

For the home, it could be good for seniors. Windows systems are easy to access even for an amateur. Of course, once a true professional has your intact computer, regardless of security measures, only a matter of time.

Someone mentioned tracking, of course, even more spyware capabilities for a Windows 10 machine. 1 year? I think they probably keep up to 10 years worth of historic data, these government agencies have money and storage is ever cheaper. 1 year is not enough to truly know someone's habits and how evolve...the government agency will know more about your habits than you know yourself (e.g. who can remember what they wrote in an email 1 month ago, let alone years ago...)

Last edited:

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Cue the "Back in my day, you had a password that you had to remember and type in"

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.