Microsoft suddenly decides not to offer Windows 10 November update via Media Creation Tool

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Things got very confusing today, as Microsoft suddenly - without warning or explanation - appeared to pull the Windows 10 'November update' that it released just over a week ago.

As a result, the Media Creation Tool, which had allowed users to download ISOs of the update (known also as Version 1511/Build 10586), suddenly stopped offering the new version, instead reverting to installations of build 10240 - the original public release of Windows 10, which came out back in July. The company also updated its notes for the Tool, stating that "these downloads cannot be used to update Windows 10 PCs to the November update (Version 1511)".

Bizarrely, despite Microsoft previously recommending the Tool to users who wished to install version 1511, it now says that that will no longer be an option.

Only after ZDNet's Ed Bott approached the company to ask for some sort of explanation did it offer the following statement:

The November update was originally available via the MCT tool, but we've decided that future installs should be through Windows Update. People can still download Windows 10 using the MCT tool if they wish. The November update will be delivered via Windows Update.

As Ed points out, that explanation seems a little unusual, given the sudden nature of the update's removal from the Tool, and the fact that Microsoft made no announcement about its decision, despite previously encouraging users to install 1511 using the Tool.

Windows 10 November update: FAQ page Windows 10 November update: FAQ - Windows Help used to have a upgrade to 1511 link, not anymore pic.twitter.com/ciAnvlOTwQ

— Tero Alhonen (@teroalhonen) November 21, 2015
As Tero Alhonen first spotted, the company has also updated its release notes, stripping out a paragraph that had previously stated that you "if you uninstalled the November update for your PC, you won't be able to install it again from Windows Update. Instead, you'll need to go to the Microsoft software download website, and select Upgrade now to upgrade your PC to Windows 10 Version 1511, which includes the November update."

Whatever the explanation, those wishing to perform a clean install of the new OS will now have to install 10240 ISOs using the Tool, and then update to 10586 via Windows Update.

Source: Ed Bott / ZDNet

Update: Despite Microsoft's statement that users should now install the November update/Version 1511 via Windows Update, some readers have contacted us to point out that they're currently unable to do so.

Update 2: Reports that Microsoft had pulled the update from Windows Update too proved to be wide of the mark. In a statement to WinBeta, the company said categorically that it has "not pulled" the update (including that rather forceful underline).

D

Deleted member 178

Im sure some ISPs complained that they get less money from cap-limited bandwith users.
Clean install Via MCT = no huge useless dowmloads = less incomes.

Reactions: Harish_Shan23

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Windows 10 used to be VERY promising. Especially after the overall catastrophy with Windows 8 (it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't as good as Windows 7 either...)

Now with all this mess that Microsoft created, most importantly the data mining in Windows 10 (except the Enterprise editions), and these faulty downloads, I don't think people will come to like the newest edition of Windows...

Reactions: OokamiCreed

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
This is terrible news to me. :(
The installation of Windows 10 TH2 through the WIndows Update was a failure in my system. I was waiting for more than 10 hours for the download to finish, only to find out that it failed when it started installing. It was probably because of a corruption in the installation files. The sad and frustrating thing was that I had to download from the start again after I hit "Retry". So, I had to stop it through restart and put my Wi-Fi connection to metered. After that, I turned to the Media Creation Tool for the major update of Windows. :)

Reactions: OokamiCreed

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I couldn't upgrade to Windows 10 TH2 (aka November update) so had to also install via Media Creation Tool. Until about 8 hours ago I still had it on USB but decided to go back to Windows 7. Data mining, failing updates, and huge disk usages got annoying. Probably won't be going back to Windows 10 for quite a long time.

I also hate the new windows looks. The taskbar looks great though and the notifications look sweet but that's all. I hear things like them thinking of getting rid of control panel. I LOVE control panel. Taking this version of Windows in the wrong direction in my opinion. It's just not Windows to me anymore.

Reactions: XhenEd

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I'm glad I burned a copy of version 1511 to a flash drive and a copy to a dvd before they did this..
I had the same plan, but I didnt know how to do it, i.e I got my update through windows update, and I didn't know how to extract the file from the update like how I did for first official upgrade release of W10 through Win update. :confused:

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
So,what's the next course of action.....Turn to those "sites"?

Whatever happens,I consider Win10 to be a good OS release and stable product.I have been scouring the 'net for a good ISO to store and Microsoft cutting us dry seems...weird.

KokoKid

Level 4
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
I burned a copy of the november update to an iso file, ha!

Why would they do this? :eek:

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
PC Gamer changes a component in PC. Has to install older version of Windows, has to upgrade to Windows 10, has to upgrade Windows 10 to TH2. Once grace period is over: has to buy new license everytime he changes a component.

When Windows 8 was released, I bought an upgrade for 29 Euros and got an actual keycode, could install it directly.

Reactions: Online_Sword

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
If I want to revert to Windows 8.1, I have original ROG image, 2 separate images on 2 HDDs. If i want to revert to Windows 10 after the upgrade (which yes I did only the upgrade by first reverting to original ROG and then straight up to 10 with nothing really installed), I can.
If November update somehow messes things up, which is yet to mess, I can as well. Thats the reason why I do full Images.

Windows not offering the update on the Media tool have some reason behind, considering some people in certain locations have not yet been granted the update via windows update (my country is an example), yet quite few users reported issues, so I suppose they want to iron out stuff before making it available again. That's my opinion anyway.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
A few days ago Microsoft rolled out a major Windows 10 November update or “Fall Update” or “Version 1511″. It was worth updating as there were some cool features. However, the process wasn’t a smooth affair for some Windows users. The first problem encountered was the upgrade not showing up in Windows Update. Other users reported progress installing the Windows 10 November update stops responding at 44%.

Full article. Microsoft pulls down Windows 10 November Update

L

LabZero

So, if I understand correctly, from the ISO or Media Creation Tool should now obligatorily pass for the first version of Windows 10 build 10240 and then update this latter to the November Update through Windows Update?

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
So, if I understand correctly, from the ISO or Media Creation Tool should now obligatorily pass for the first version of Windows 10 build 10240 and then update this latter to the November Update through Windows Update?
Yes i think that is right, sad for those on limited bandwidth. :(

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Well I guess backup tools are far more useful than normal now. Normally we do it to save ourselves from corruptions, user mistakes, or infections. Now we have to do it for botched OS updates. To be fair, Windows is good at reverting changes without ruining anything about 90% of the time. I'm on Windows 7 now for a reason. Including performance (Windows 10 takes up a lot of disk usage while Windows 7 sits idle like it's supposed to.

To anyone running Windows 10 or any other Windows OS, do backup or at the least defer or turn off automatic updates and wait a bit (at least for major updates like TH2). Speaking of TH2, it installed fine then on restart it had to revert. At least I got past 44%! lol I personally hate TH2. Nice looking yes but takes more disk usage than TH1. That memory compression was doing it for the most part. Superfetch the rest along with Windows Update.

In summary, Windows 10 is too much stress for me. One gray hair per minute.

Reactions: frogboy and LabZero

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Well I guess backup tools are far more useful than normal now. Normally we do it to save ourselves from corruptions, user mistakes, or infections. Now we have to do it for botched OS updates. To be fair, Windows is good at reverting changes without ruining anything about 90% of the time. I'm on Windows 7 now for a reason. Including performance (Windows 10 takes up a lot of disk usage while Windows 7 sits idle like it's supposed to.

To anyone running Windows 10 or any other Windows OS, do backup or at the least defer or turn off automatic updates and wait a bit (at least for major updates like TH2). Speaking of TH2, it installed fine then on restart it had to revert. At least I got past 44%! lol I personally hate TH2. Nice looking yes but takes more disk usage than TH1. That memory compression was doing it for the most part. Superfetch the rest along with Windows Update.

In summary, Windows 10 is too much stress for me. One gray hair per minute.
I could not agree more. ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well for some reason I couldn't get that update specifically on Windows Update as 3 main conditions are not meet to prove its not been retrieve on my system. (Still according on many post, that update may take longer time to deploy)

Anyways from many testimonies above seems some experience not so good on threshold which we need to conduct backup nowadays for safety purpose + good thing that in Windows 10 you may tap Shift key to activate advance startup to repair if something goes wrong.

The thing goes bad from the first place is when updates are automatically force to install; as a user we have right to check it first and defer them as optional temporary.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
TH2 completely killed games in my machine. They are all stuttering and lagging. The good news is that I am working more and playing less :)

BTW if anyone has any idea what could be causing this, feel free to tell me. I've tried everything from sfc /scannow to turning off the xbox app and installing the latest graphics drivers. Nothing worked.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.