Status
Not open for further replies.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
I went through their whole privacy policy and Windows 10 settings and here's what they collect if you accept the express install option:
  • Contacts
  • Calendar details
  • Snippets of what you type to improve predictions
  • Mobile number if connected to Skype
  • Location/Location history (allowed to be used by any app by default)
  • Wifi name and password and wifi name/password of contacts
  • Browsing history
  • Typed/Spoken searches to Cortana
  • Language
  • Diagnostic/Telemetry data
When I say data, I'm not talking about files on your PC. If Microsoft wanted those I'm betting they'd be able to get them. It's this so-called "non-personal" data that I'm talking about; the stuff they sell to advertisers who then use this data for who-knows-what. Sure, they target ads towards you but they also conduct data mining on this information that pushes it further and further towards personal information.
It all boils down to what you consider personal or non-personal information. I consider pretty much everything there besides language and diagnostic/telemetry to be personal information and feel Microsoft shouldn't have access to it all just because I use their OS. Oh and since I refused the free upgrade I'll be paying for that OS so the excuse of "you got Windows 10 for free so we're entitled to collect and make money off this information" doesn't hold water with me.

And you really believe Microsoft is selling to some underground militia or mercenaries all these collected data? Why in the hell would they do that? And, more importantly, do you know what do they do with the collected data? I mean you really know?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
And you really believe Microsoft is selling to some underground militia or mercenaries all these collected data?
That's being ridiculous.

we share personal data among Microsoft-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries. We also share personal data with vendors or agents working on our behalf for the purposes described in this statement. For example, companies we've hired to provide customer service support or assist in protecting and securing our systems and services may need access to personal data in order to provide those functions. In such cases, these companies must abide by our data privacy and security requirements and are not allowed to use personal data they receive from us for any other purpose. We may also disclose personal data as part of a corporate transaction such as a merger or sale of assets.

And who exactly are these affiliates and subsidiaries? What do they do with this information? What kind of security do they place this information under? How long do they keep this information? Is this information regularly updated? Who do they share this information with? Will they delete this information if asked?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Turns out what I thought they collect was only a snippet. Here's a more comprehensive list:
  1. Data syncing is by default enabled.
    • Browsing history and open websites.
    • Apps settings.
    • WiFi hotspot names and passwords.
  2. Your device is by default tagged with a unique advertising ID.
    • Used to serve you with personalized advertisements by third-party advertisers and ad networks.
  3. Cortana can collect any of your data.
    • Your keystrokes, searches and mic input.
    • Calendar data.
    • Music you listen to.
    • Credit Card information.
    • Purchases.
  4. Microsoft can collect any personal data.
    • Your identity.
    • Passwords.
    • Demographics.
    • Interests and habits.
    • Usage data.
    • Contacts and relationships.
    • Location data.
    • Content like emails, instant messages, caller list, audio and video recordings.
  5. Your data can be shared.
    • When downloading Windows 10, you are authorizing Microsoft to share any of above mentioned data with any third-party, with or without your consent.
I wonder why people have an issue with data collection...

Reactions: Marko :)

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
That's being ridiculous.

And who exactly are these affiliates and subsidiaries? What do they do with this information? What kind of security do they place this information under? How long do they keep this information? Is this information regularly updated? Who do they share this information with? Will they delete this information if asked?

Exactly my point. Did you asked them? Do a little research on the subject before judging them?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Exactly my point. Did you asked them? Do a little research on the subject before judging them?
And how would I go about doing that? Firstly they're not obligated to share this information and I'm betting they wouldn't do so. Even if they did, these affiliates, subsidiaries and vendors are separate companies. I'd have to ask each individual one what they policies are on each question. That'd take more time than I'm willing to spend and frankly I shouldn't have to do so.

This is getting off topic anyway and I don't want this to devolve into some superfluous argument. If you're happy with them collecting the information listed above then good for you. I'm not. Simple as that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

I went through their whole privacy policy and Windows 10 settings and here's what they collect if you accept the express install option
When I say data, I'm not talking about files on your PC.
it is why i never do any express install on whatever soft i use.

by the way , i will tell my position about those settings:
  • Contacts (i don't care)
  • Calendar details (don't care much)
  • Snippets of what you type to improve predictions (quite useful to me)
  • Mobile number if connected to Skype (not much an issue)
  • Location/Location history (allowed to be used by any app by default) : (i use Maps , i hope they could locate me lol)
  • Wifi name and password and wifi name/password of contacts (i disabled the option, anyway i filter MAC adresses on my router, so even they have the psw, they can't connect...)
  • Browsing history (totally don't care, my ISP will know it , and if i go to some "better be private" site, i have a "Jason Bourne" style machine)
  • Typed/Spoken searches to Cortana (don't care too, nothing much different than using Google or else. i use Cortana btw, i like it)
  • Language (totaaaaaaaalllllllly don't care)
  • Diagnostic/Telemetry data (needed for smartscreen, and improving Windows, necessary to me)
So basically, not much an issue for me, only the paranoids worries.

Reactions: Amelith Nargothrond

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
And how would I go about doing that? Firstly they're not obligated to share this information and I'm betting they wouldn't do so. Even if they did, these affiliates, subsidiaries and vendors are separate companies. I'd have to ask each individual one what they policies are on each question. That'd take more time than I'm willing to spend and frankly I shouldn't have to do so.

This is getting off topic anyway. If you're happy with them collecting the information listed above then good for you. I'm not. Simple as that.

And because of you failing to verify these info, you prefer to misinform and judge them, because it's easier to do so.
Where did i say i'm happy with them collecting my stuff? Still, i don't care, as long as i won't wake up in front of my door with a big bad russian bald guy waiting to slit my throat.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
it is why i never do any express install on whatever soft i use.

by the way , i will tell my position about those settings:
  • Contacts (i don't care)
  • Calendar details (don't care much)
  • Snippets of what you type to improve predictions (quite useful to me)
  • Mobile number if connected to Skype (not much an issue)
  • Location/Location history (allowed to be used by any app by default) : (i use Maps , i hope they could locate me lol)
  • Wifi name and password and wifi name/password of contacts (i disabled the option, anyway i filter MAC adresses on my router, so even they have the psw, they can't connect...)
  • Browsing history (totally don't care, my ISP will know it , and if i go to some "better be private" site, i have a "Jason Bourne" style machine)
  • Typed/Spoken searches to Cortana (don't care too, nothing much different than using Google or else. i use Cortana btw, i like it)
  • Language (totaaaaaaaalllllllly don't care)
  • Diagnostic/Telemetry data (needed for smartscreen, and improving Windows, necessary to me)
So basically, not much an issue for me, only the paranoids worries.

Exactly.

This is getting off topic anyway.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.