Microsoft: The US has fallen far behind the rest of the world in privacy protection

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft recently highlighted that the US has fallen far behind the rest of the world in privacy protection. Microsoft specifically mentioned that the US lacks a strong national privacy law. Two years ago, the EU adopted GPDR to improve data privacy situation in their region. Since then, many countries including Brazil, India, Japan, Kenya, South Africa, South Korea and Thailand, have adopted, revised or proposed new frameworks for privacy protection. Microsoft pointed out that over 130 countries and jurisdictions have enacted privacy laws. Unfortunately, the US is missing in the list.

“As countries around the world pursue new legal frameworks, global standards are being developed without U.S. involvement. In contrast to the role our country has traditionally played on global issues, the U.S. is not leading, or even participating in, the discussion over common privacy norms,” wrote Julie Brill, Corporate Vice President for Global Privacy and Regulatory Affairs and Chief Privacy Officer.

Microsoft urged the US government to create a strong privacy legislation with following four principles:

• Transparency about how companies collect, use and share personal information. Consumers are clamoring to understand what data companies have and how they will interact with it
  • Consumer empowerment that guarantees the right of individuals to access, correct, delete and move personal information
  • Corporate responsibility that requires companies to be good stewards of consumer information
  • Strong enforcement through a strong central regulator and vigilant state’s attorneys general offices that have the authority and funding to enforce the laws and take action to hold violators accountable

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
i believe it our government needs to better teach people to better secure themselves. Even in the security aspect i never see media reporting on security intrusions or if so it has to be a MAJOR security risk. I'm in the US and can say we very much think we are superior. What most people don't know is other countries are developing and we are not really on the same page. The average person doesn't install basic security updates or have security software installed on an android phone because they think "androids cant get infected" When AL and machine learning advance to the point the general population cant comprehend we are in some serious trouble my friends....

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.