Advice Request Microsoft To Add Bing Ads To Windows 8.1 Search

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
Today, Microsoft said its advertisers will be able to target users not just on Web search results pages but directly inside Windows Smart Search. David Pann, general manager of Microsoft’s Search Advertising Group, said in an interview that advertisers don’t have to do additional setup to participate. The Smart Search ads will feature a preview of the websites the ad will send people to, as well as click-to-call info and site links, which are additional links under the main result that direct users deeper into a website to the most likely page they might want.

Source.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Let you decide..

Let me explain, first from the work perspective: say I wanted to run the useful desktop utility known as the Driver Store Explorer (rapr.exe, a CodePlex project that jumps into your Windows Driver store and tells you what it finds there, and even lets you delete unwanted or superfluous drivers from the store). By searching on the filename, rapr.exe, the search results will provide a link right to the program if it’s on my PC. If it’s not, it will take me to the home page for the product documentation, where I can click the “download” link there to grab what I want with a single click. Incredibly convenient.

Another explanation, this time from the leisure angle: say I wanted to watch a video of “Young Indiana Jones.” If I search on that term, and there’s a video on my PC that matches the search term already, it will take me straight to it. If not, I will be able to access any of a number of download links on YouTube from whence I can grab whichever of the 23 episodes that are available online that I might care to watch. Way cool!

Source

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
I don't care how convenient it makes most takes, I don't want adds in my windows search.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's nothing new, Ubuntu already provide search results from Amazon, but can be turned off (12.10). It sounds like it could be the same for Windows 8.1, well I hope so.

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
We can only wait and see I suppose. But I'd say there will be a way to turn it off, Microsoft know that serving ads in search won't be popular.

Freddyand5

Verified
Sep 18, 2013
Like Google Displays Ads when you sign in to Gmail. But i am sure they will offer options to switch these ads off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.