Microsoft to Close Free Windows 10 Upgrade “Loophole” on December 31

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Microsoft has decided to close this loophole and now says on the upgrade page that “the accessibility upgrade offer expires on December 31, 2017.” This means the loophole will no longer be available beginning January 1, so if any user with assistive technology (or pretty much anyone else) still wants to move to Windows 10, they better do it sometime in the next 2 months
At last MS has closed the doors for free upgrade to Windows 10, at least officially now.

I added a poll just to get a census of which OS our fellow MT members use daily.

D

Deleted member 178

Win10 FCU own Win7/8/8.1 in all terms :

- security and efficiency
- usability
- synchronicity
- features
- tablet compatible

except one: "privacy" since you have many services/features/tools needing users personal input..
If you don't mind much about it or are careful with it , Win10 is the best choice you have.

for example with my newly bought ultrabook (which can be switched to a tablet) i can enjoy it via Win10 thousands time more than with any other OS. None of those other OS will give me full access of my ultrabook features.

D

Deleted member 178

They do. Something is weird about these numbers. A lot of people and companies are still on Windows 7.
Companies' cost and time for upgrading and adapting their network to Win10 is huge, but many of those who did are very satisfied, some friends are companies' Sysadmins, they said with Win10, their job is easier and they saved lot of time for other tasks.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Win10 FCU own Win7/8/8.1 in all terms :

- security and efficiency
- usability
- synchronicity
- features
- tablet compatible

except one: "privacy" since you have many services/features/tools needing users personal input..
If you don't mind much about it or are careful with it , Win10 is the best choice you have.

for example with my newly bought ultrabook (which can be switched to a tablet) i can enjoy it via Win10 thousands time more than with any other OS. None of those other OS will give me full access of my ultrabook features.
Try Linux from MS Store or install it using USB(if you can change RAID to AHCI).
Still on Creators update.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Try Linux from MS Store or install it using USB(if you can change RAID to AHCI).
Still on Creators update.
If I install Ubuntu via Store will I get the gui too or only the cmd like interface?

I have had to downgrade my system recently from 10 to 8.1 and my computer works much better now. Several colleagues have a similar experience with computers, like mine, with five or more years
Yup, Win10 doesn't like old hardware at all. It gives weird errors in the Event Viewer.

Well i'm still on W7 but mainly because i couldn't deal with the agro that upgrading to 10 would cause me plus my little laptop is getting on in years so most likely she wouldn't like it ;)
Good choice.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
If I install Ubuntu via Store will I get the gui too or only the cmd like interface?

Yup, Win10 doesn't like old hardware at all. It gives weird errors in the Event Viewer.

Good choice.

All new distros are like using Windows but come with all kinds of extras like office software ect. I have notice problems getting printer software working right though because they don't support third party drivers because of rights issues. Also you can install one to a USB stick and run it from there if you do not want run install it to your hard drive. This works good for deleting hard to remove files from within windows.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.