Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Microsoft to Close Free Windows 10 Upgrade “Loophole” on December 31

As we reported to you recently, the free Windows 10 upgrade offer for consumers using assistive technology was still available after the launch of the Fall Creators Update, with no end in sight.

But as it turns out, Microsoft is finally planning to end this offer, basically closing the only loophole that allowed users to upgrade to Windows 10 free of charge.

First, some context. Back in July 2015 when Microsoft rolled out Windows 10, the company offered the new OS free of charge to everyone running Windows 7 or Windows 8 as long as the upgrade was performed in the first 12 months. One year later, the firm ended this offer, but continued to allow users running accessibility features to upgrade to Windows 10 at no charge.

Offer to come to an end December 31
While at first glance this seemed to be a welcome offer for those using assistive technology, it was no secret that many Windows 7 and 8.1 users turned to it to upgrade to Windows 10 free of charge only because no verifications where being made. In other words, there were no checks on the accessibility features running on a system, so the upgrade to Windows 10 was still completely free.

Microsoft itself explained that “we are not restricting the upgrade offer to specific assistive technologies. If you use assistive technology on Windows, you are eligible for the upgrade offer.”

Microsoft, however, has decided to close this loophole and now says on the upgrade pagethat “the accessibility upgrade offer expires on December 31, 2017.” This means the loophole will no longer be available beginning January 1, so if any user with assistive technology (or pretty much anyone else) still wants to move to Windows 10, they better do it sometime in the next 2 months.

Windows 10 is currently the second most-used desktop operating system with a share of 29.09 percent, while Windows 7 continues to be the leader with 47.21 percent. Windows 8.1 is third with just 5.89 percent.

If your on the fence, it's time to upgrade.

GonzitoVir

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
One laptop got stuck in the login screen (Windows 10) and no fix, worked. So I reinstalled Windows 7 from my recovery discs. And after a short Google search, I knew about the Windows 10 free upgrade for users of the accessibility features (which MS never checks). After around 4 hours and now running the latest Windows 10 build.

Reactions: XhenEd

Jester

Level 1
Sep 21, 2017
Assistive technology loophole? On Saturday i updated wife's laptop from Win7 using the Media Creation Tool...Update went smoothly and worked like a charm!!! No verification, no nothing, i just run the tool and that was it...

Reactions: XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.