Not open for further replies.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
opera-mobile-store.jpg

After dropping the Nokia brand name from Lumia phones, Microsoft now plans to shut down Nokia Store for its non-Windows Phone devices — Series 40, Series 60, Symbian, Asha and Nokia X. The users of these phones will be redirected to Opera Mobile Store once the agreement gets through.​

The migration is expected to be completed by June 2015, after which Nokia Store for feature phones (and select smartphones) will shut down.

While, Nokia Lumia smartphones feature the Windows Store for app downloads, other Nokia phones such as Asha and Nokia X feature Nokia Store for apps. These devices will be redirected to the Opera Mobile Store automatically.

According to the official statement, this means that the users will "have a new trusted source for tens of thousands of apps for their Nokia phone."

Once the Nokia Store for feature phones shuts down, Opera Mobile Store will become the third-largest app store globally in terms of downloads, claimed the company. Opera Mobile Store currently features 300,000 apps and games and supports over 7,500 devices.

Announcing the tie up with Opera, Microsoft vice president Rich Bernardo said, "We're delighted to partner with Opera Software and continue to provide a reliable app store experience for consumers and developers alike."

Lars Boilesen, CEO of Opera Software said, "When the current users of the Nokia Store are migrated to Opera Mobile Store, they will continue to get fresh, interesting apps for their Nokia phones. The Opera Mobile Store becomes an even more significant player in the app store market, and Nokia mobile phone users get a first-class app store for years to come."

This is the second partnership for both Opera and Microsoft. Earlier during the year, software giant announced that Opera mini browser will become the default browser on Nokia-branded phones, including Series 30+, Series 40, Asha and Nokia X handsets.

SOURCE

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's the speciality for Opera where dominant on mobile/smartphones/tablet and really differ when it comes browser for PC since there are many big boys that compete well on all matters.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks for the article, purshupro.

It also serves as an important and informative reminder that I have been relying on my computer (and Google Talk) as my acting phone for so long my un-smart phone rarely gets used. I need road maps such as these, as well as reading up a bit more on where my phone that's lost in the wilderness shall guide me to a promised land of hand held computing as well as miraculous apps!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.