Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Microsoft’s problem isn’t how often it updates Windows—it’s how it develops it

The problem with Windows as a Service is quality. Previous issues with the feature and security updates have already shaken confidence in Microsoft's updating policy for Windows 10. While data is notably lacking, there is at the very least a popular perception that the quality of the monthly security updates has taken a dive with Windows 10 and that installation of the twice-annual feature updates as soon as they're available is madness. These complaints are long-standing, too. The unreliable updates have been a cause for concern since shortly after Windows 10's release.

1540062922860.png

Funny, I've been saying the same thing here for years, but every time I do, it causes a flame war just because it's me saying it.

The industry has been saying the same thing more or less - at least the ones who look at things objectively and speak the truth.

Windows was, is and always shall be garbage. It's because of the way that Microsoft does things.

L

Local Host

If you have a proper IT Department you'll rarely face Update/Upgrade problems with W10.

So far only had a problem once, due a shared printer, and I Update/Upgrade them in bulk (obviously).

98.5% of the W10 Update/Upgrade issues are related to User problems, and Third-Party Software/Hardware problems.

E

Eddie Morra

Alien 1: (**On the radio**) "Guys, you there back at base? Over"
Alien HQ: "Yeah we're here."
Alien 1: "We made it to Earth. It took us a thousand years but we actually did it... the whole group have survived. What's our next move?"
Alien HQ: "Are they smart?"
Alien 1: "Yeah. Hold on, there's this popular thing called Windows here"
Alien HQ: "Send me the download"
Alien 2: "I sent it"

**10m later**

Alien HQ: "They can't and won't ever be able to help us. Your instructions are to get back in the spaceship and return immediately. Do not give any sign that aliens exist... do not attempt to make contact with any of them. Just get out of there ASAP and we will forget all of this ever happened. Now. NOW!"

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
If you have a proper IT Department you'll rarely face Update/Upgrade problems with W10.

So far only had a problem once, due a shared printer, and I Update/Upgrade them in bulk (obviously).

98.5% of the W10 Update/Upgrade issues are related to User problems, and Third-Party Software/Hardware problems.
You are alone with that opinion sir. It shouldn't be too much to ask for when something worked for months and suddenly there is an update and it breaks and it's the users fault? How?

L

Local Host

You are alone with that opinion sir. It shouldn't be too much to ask for when something worked for months and suddenly there is an update and it breaks and it's the users fault? How?
We can take a look at the recent files deleted problem, it was actually caused by user error. When using KFR you're not supposed to keep using the old folders, in fact those folders remained behind due to a bug on Windows 10.

Anyone who lost files probably doesn't know KFR stands for Known Folder Redirection.

In your particular case was probably caused by third-party software/hardware, like we've seen in the past with Avast, HP and Samsung problems.

This person is always shilling Windows...

If you look back at all the pulled WIndows 10 udpates, Microsoft has either explicitly or implicitly admitted blame in probably 50 % of them.

For many people using all default Microsoft products, Windows 10 updates and upgrades still go badly. It is because Windows 10 is no different than the Windows 7 era. Windows is Windows.

It's great if one has a proper IT department, but what are home users to do ? That it requires that level of administration in the first place makes Windows a dismal failure.

Use Chromebook. You're better off all the way around.

We can take a look at the recent files deleted problem, it was actually caused by user error. When using KFR you're not supposed to keep using the old folders, in fact those folders remained behind due to a bug on Windows 10.

Really ?

If it was all user error, then why did Microsoft pull the upgrade and publicly admit the issue was on their end ? Microsft publicly admitted the bug was theirs for a number, if not all, of the reported major problems.

In your particular case was probably caused by third-party software/hardware, like we've seen in the past with Avast, HP and Samsung problems.

Microsoft created and pushed an upgrade that caused the problems in the first place. So how is it that Avast, HP and Samsung can ever be considered as a party to blame ? It's Microsoft's responsibility to make sure that its products don't smash ecosystems and cause problems. Afterall, Microsoft is the one who insists and keeps pushing the garbage. It's not as if people and organizations are lining up asking for this stuff.

Mariihh

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018
I never had problems with Windows 10, this thing of 100% of disk usage, problems with driver, deleting files and etc, never came across any of this, namely, I have no complaint from Microsoft :giggle:

Mariihh

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015

There was no such user problems with many of the previous Windows versions. So its not the users fault here. Software industry can't update their code with every rough MS Windows updates, its just not practical. MS obviously had poor QA test process since Windows 10 and they heavily depend on their Windows insider program to test their software which is were the core fault lies. Secondly they need not force feature upgrade 2 times a year which is too drastic for Software industry to adjust to it leading to many persistent bugs and compatibility issues.

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
The people you are actually insulting are your fellow MT members and other users everywhere who have had numerous problems with Windows 10 updates. Because it is those folks that I am pointing out are Microsoft's victims. And I'm pretty sure that if you asked them, they would tell you they are none too pleased with Microsoft based upon their own personal experiences.

I guess they have no right to complain ? They just need to sit there, shut up and take whatever Microsoft foists upon them.

So thank you. Thank you for trying to insult me, but instead throwing a rotten egg in everyone else's face.

Nice try.

You are a whiner and complainer.

Grow up.

L

Local Host

There was no such user problems with many of the previous Windows versions. So its not the users fault here. Software industry can't update their code with every rough MS Windows updates, its just not practical. MS obviously had poor QA test process since Windows 10 and they heavily depend on their Windows insider program to test their software which is were the core fault lies. Secondly they need not force feature upgrade 2 times a year which is too drastic for Software industry to adjust to it leading to many persistent bugs and compatibility issues.
There were problems on previous versions of Windows, only less noticeable cause it was upgraded once every few years, contrary to two major upgrades twice every year.

As for developers not having time to optimise their code, that is an excuse by lazy and careless developers, fact is Microsoft gives them full documentation of the changes, deprecated features and +6 months to update and fix their code (they even offer help and alternatives).

We can look at Kaspersky that has been kept up-to-date with all the major Windows 10 Feature Updates, they always have their Software ready the day it releases.

Same thing happened when Microsoft deprecated .NET features, everyone whined and blamed Microsoft that their Software wasn't working, but it was their fault from the start for not updating their code. When a new version of PHP releases, I don't see anyone whining and blaming Zend Technologies when their websites break!

Nice try.

You are a whiner and complainer.

Grow up.

It's not a try. It's the truth.

I've posted what is commonly accepted within the industry - the general consensus regarding Microsoft. You would know that if you actually worked in it. Actually, you don't even need to work in the industry. All you have to do is spend 5 minutes doing some research.

Ask someone like Eugene Kaspersky what he thinks about Microsoft. Actually, he has openly stated what he thinks about Microsoft all over the web.

I am sticking up for the people who are victimized by Microsoft.

And you make obvious personal attacks because I am doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
There were problems on previous versions of Windows, only less noticeable cause it was upgraded once every few years, contrary to two major upgrades twice every year.

As for developers not having time to optimise their code, that is an excuse by lazy and careless developers, fact is Microsoft gives them full documentation of the changes, deprecated features and +6 months to update and fix their code.

Not to mention most companies don't have issues with the Microsoft Update cycle, we can look at Kaspersky that has been kept up-to-date with all the major Windows 10 Feature Updates, they always have their Software ready the day it releases.

Same thing happened when Microsoft deprecated .NET features, everyone whined and blamed Microsoft that their Software wasn't working, but it was their fault from the start for not updating their Software. When a new version of PHP releases, I don't see anyone whining and blaming Zend Technologies!

If Microsoft knows 3rd party software won't adapt to their liking why broke a perfectly working configuration? It is the Windows users suffers the most whether its because of MS fault or the 3rd party software.

Last edited:
L

Local Host

If Microsoft knows 3rd party software won't adapt to their liking why broke a perfectly working configuration? It is the Windows users suffers the most whether its MS fault or the 3rd party software.
So we should stop progression because of lazy and careless developers? I guess we should all go back to Internet Explorer and stop the TLS 1.2, HTTP/2 and HTML5 migration in order to keep ancient code working.

If there's one thing I learned decades ago, was that you need to constantly evolve and accept change, whining and refusing to learn will get you nowhere in IT.

I also like facts and fairness, and truth is, people been whining and spreading misinformation about Microsoft and W10 since day one. People don't go online to say "My system is working perfectly", they go online looking for help! So using that as statistic is ridiculous.

I can't speak globally, but over here every company I been to is using W10 (I actually haven't seen W7 in years), I won't deny there were some issues with domains and compatibility early on in some of them (which we solved), but there's nothing that proves W10 is more problematic than any previous version of Windows, in fact it has become more stable (compared to W7).

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.