Microsoft urges companies to dump Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
Last July, Microsoft posted up a note on the official Windows blog site that recommended strongly that companies that were still running Windows XP on their PCs to upgrade to Windows 7. This week, during Microsoft's BUILD Conference, company officials were once again pushing for enterprise customers to dump Windows XP. Information Week reports that Microsoft's chief operating officer Kevin Turner told financial analysts this week, "We are end-of-lifing XP and Office 2003 and everything prior, in April 2014."

That date has previously been announced but a large number of companies have still not made the move to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. Turner said, "So for all those companies that have the old products that haven't quite started the refresh, guess what? This has been a great product, XP has been a wonderful product; great TCO has been given. It's now time for it to go." And don't expect Microsoft to offer another extension to XP's life. Turner states, "We're basically giving it a time of death stamp."

read more

Lindows

Aug 19, 2011
No way, Still used by many people and more work places and used more in schools and colleges...........

It is difficult cause i love xp and it would be nice if they kept it as a classic version for a longer time by releasing more service packs..............

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
The day they stop supporting XP is the day I finally switch to Linux.

OS licensing is just too much money these days, and M$ is releasing them way to quickly... I don't want to buy a new license every other year.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
HeffeD said:
The day they stop supporting XP is the day I finally switch to Linux.

OS licensing is just too much money these days, and M$ is releasing them way to quickly... I don't want to buy a new license every other year.

Now a days there is drivers for the graphic cards so that's fixed. Can't think of other hardware problems linux can't fix.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Valentin N said:
Maybe they should make XP for free and fix most of the bugs

There is already a free OS based on XP in development- http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

It is just in alpha stage but looks very nice and will support updates.

I haven't tried it, I rather wait until its final release.

Back to the topic, I don't know what it is like in other countries and states, but the state in the USA where I live, all government agencies and most businesses still use WinXP.

It will costs tax payers and consumers more money if they upgrade to Win7.
So upgrading is last on the priority list.

Thanks.:D

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
Honestly, XP is just obsolete now, there's no sense in continued use in such an outdated product. Sure, it was a great OS and a lot of people used it during the main lifespan of VIsta, but just like all finite things, it's time to end soon.

Lindows

Aug 19, 2011
Dejan said:
Honestly, XP is just obsolete now, there's no sense in continued use in such an outdated product. Sure, it was a great OS and a lot of people used it during the main lifespan of VIsta, but just like all finite things, it's time to end soon.

Microsoft made it outdated by not releasing more service packs.........

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For companies, they should drop Windows XP and shift to Windows 7 Enterprise.

For consumers it's a little different, but they should definitely consider upgrading their OS to something more secure, even if it's Mac OS X. :)

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Earth said:
For companies, they should drop Windows XP and shift to Windows 7 Enterprise.

For consumers it's a little different, but they should definitely consider upgrading their OS to something more secure, even if it's Mac OS X. :)

I would consider something else then Mac OS X; I don't want to know how many holes it has. I think the other linux may be a bit different.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
OS Licenses are pretty expensive when you're directly buying, A good shopper always looks for discounts so new OS releases by Microsoft is not a problem.

D

Deleted member 178

small or emergent countries = less monthly incomes and low salaries = no or less access to powerful computers = Winxp. simple fact.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Valentin, Linux will never (for now) be up to par with Windows or Mac OS X, in terms of popular software such as Photoshop, or support/help.

Linux may be good for some, but not the majority of users.

Umbrapolaris, while that may be true. Microsoft could be directing this at companies that can upgrade, but haven't.

D

Deleted member 178

yes you right, they dont even directing some small companies in France to switch from Win98 to Winxp :D

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Microsoft urges companies to dump Windows XP.... Funny.
Companies are working on economic principles, so changing the operating system in a big corporation could cost them millions of dollars. And we they'll finally finish with the upgrade , staff training and all the other mandatory procedures , Microsoft will launch Windows 8 ..... and then it will "urge companies to dump Windows 7" :)

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Earth said:
Valentin, Linux will never (for now) be up to par with Windows or Mac OS X, in terms of popular software such as Photoshop, or support/help.

Linux may be good for some, but not the majority of users.

I know. Linux was never to the majority and only certain people will use it. Windows took their chance when the had it and the reason why it is where it is. :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Jack said:
Microsoft urges companies to dump Windows XP.... Funny.
Companies are working on economic principles, so changing the operating system in a big corporation could cost them millions of dollars. And we they'll finally finish with the upgrade , staff training and all the other mandatory procedures , Microsoft will launch Windows 8 ..... and then it will "urge companies to dump Windows 7" :)

Completely agree. There is even a few businesses in my area still using Windows2K.
Why should a businesses upgrade Windows and then have to charge their customers more expense for their services when an older version of Windows completely satisfies the business needs?

I read commits from users all the time stating Windows XP is obsolete, no it isn't. Maybe for yourselves, but it the real world, XP is still the most used Windows OS, like it or not. Just because Windows XP is older than Vista and Win7 doesn't equal obsolete.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:
Why should a businesses upgrade Windows and then have to charge their customers more expense for their services when an older version of Windows completely satisfies the business needs?

Totally agree, if you like your old car why should you buy a new one :D
Companies think differently than an individual customer, they think about profits, benefits and less expense. changing the OS is a BIG cost (money, time, formation of workers, and reduce the security of the network). the benefit dont worth the cost.

the chairman of a company may still keep WInXP on his company network but surely use Win7 on his private laptop !

btw, WIn2k is a very good OS.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
However its ain't easy at all to make a dramatically dump Windows XP since most people prefer as a simple OS and meets from hardware specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.