Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Microsoft today warned that Comodo has issued nine fraudulent digital certificates to a third party whose identity could not be sufficiently validated, a scenario that could allow attackers to spoof content, perform phishing attacks, or perform man-in-the-middle attacks against all Web surfers.

According to the Microsoft advisory, the fraudulent

Web certificates affect the Microsoft Live service, Google’s mail system, Yahoo and Skype log-ins.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/microsoft-warns-fraudulent-digital-certificates-issued-for-high-value-websites/8488?tag=mantle_skin;content

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Well this is definitely something I can see being interesting on another forum I know of....

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
This is a serious matter that threatens the core of today's security infrastructure. If "bad guys" can get their hands on fake certificates and can also attack the DNS infrastructure there will be no way to know if the site you are visiting is legit or not (for example). I'm sorry that Comodo didn't reveal the Registration Authority (RA) involved. Hopefully the necessary measures will be applied.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
RE: Apple users left to defend themselves against certificate attacks

In light of the disclosure on Wednesday about 9 fraudulent SSL certificates being issued by a partner of Comodo, Microsoft was quick to respond with an update to protect users of Windows.

Apple however has not reacted leaving many OS X users in the dark. Mike Shannon from SophosLabs did some research for me this week so we could provide a guide on configuring your Mac to be secured against these bogus certificates.

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/03/26/apple-users-left-to-defend-themselves-against-certificate-attacks/

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
It was an apple that brought sin into the world. :p

(Okay, the Bible doesn't say which kind of fruit)

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
LaserWraith said:
It was an apple that brought sin into the world. :p

(Okay, the Bible doesn't say which kind of fruit)

I'm ok with assuming it was an apple.:great:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.