WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
With Windows i always felt i bought a "Lego" OS, and i have to add new bricks to one day maybe complete it.

Love this one. Too bad the bricks available are defective. As far as I can remember, Windows does a lot of patches, patches that causes bugs which in turn had to be patched again ad infinitum

BTW I use a newly installed Windows which I no longer update. Tired of rolling back unsuccessful updates. Waste of time really.

D

Deleted member 21043

I like the Windows UI more than Ubuntu. The taskbar on Windows 7/8 I prefer, for some reasons the icons appear to look a bit smoother, or is that just how Windows displays them? I prefer the Window styles on applications with the Exit, Maximize/Restore Down and Minimize than on Linux, the border for applications... I even prefer the Windows controls to linux ones, as basic as they may be. It's probably because I grew up with Windows. I've used linux but i removed it within a day, it wasn't as fast on my old netbook with 1gb ram and windows 7 ran amazing on it, so why can't Ubuntu? I thought Linux was meant to be more lightweight?

Anyway, UI is a big thing for me. UI and functionality. It has to do the job, and have a great UI or I won't find it appealing and be interested. If Microsoft Office looked horrible I wouldn't bother with it. HOWEVER, I have to admit, Linux security will always be better than Windows. The average Windows user has to reinstall Windows at least once or twice every year or so, some people talk it in months. Ubuntu is so clean it's rare to have too, the updating doesn't have the stupid problems Windows does or the rebooting cycle bugs (which I whom was a victim on Windows updates and had to reformat and lose all my data because I installed a Windows update ...), and Linux is nice, simple and more easy-to-use. The login screens/splash screens on Linux look so much better than on Windows. If only they had a taskbar like on Windows 8, and made a better window style, I would install it.

D

Deleted member 178

I like the Windows UI more than Ubuntu. The taskbar on Windows 7/8 I prefer, for some reasons the icons appear to look a bit smoother, or is that just how Windows displays them? I prefer the Window styles on applications with the Exit, Maximize/Restore Down and Minimize than on Linux, the border for applications... I even prefer the Windows controls to linux ones, as basic as they may be. It's probably because I grew up with Windows. I've used linux but i removed it within a day, it wasn't as fast on my old netbook with 1gb ram and windows 7 ran amazing on it, so why can't Ubuntu? I thought Linux was meant to be more lightweight?

all the "issues" you have is because you didn't found out the proper distro, on my Kubuntu (ubuntu + KDE ) , i can almost completely mimic Win7 in all appearance (bar, icons, etc...)

Linux and especially KDE desktops are far more customizable than Windows

The login screens/splash screens on Linux look so much better than on Windows. If only they had a taskbar like on Windows 8, and made a better window style, I would install it.

they have; check my screenshot

i don't feel i am on linux :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I

illumination

try first some Live CDs (Mint, Kubuntu, Manjaro, elementary OS, Zorin , etc...)
Make sure to verify the MD5 of the ISO you will be downloading and burning, also be particular with what you use to burn the ISO.

D

Deleted member 178

i will add, if you have a spare machine , test first on it how to do , dualbooting is not a simple task , many hazards may occurs unlike just installing Linux alone (easier than Windows)

D

Deleted member 21043

i will add, if you have a spare machine , test first on it how to do , dualbooting is not a simple task , many hazards may occurs unlike just installing Linux alone (easier than Windows)
Yeah. Don't worry with me and OS installations... I've installed and dual-booted different Windows versions in the past 100 gazilion times. I've dualbooted linux before. Just didn't look into it very well I guess.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Extended support for Windows 7 lasts until January 14, 2020, so users can expect to continue to receive free security updates, but not feature updates, for Windows 7 until that point. For those running Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 applied, the end of mainstream and extended support dates are the same -- January 13, 2015 and January 14, 2020, respectively -- given there is no Windows 7 SP2.
I don't think anyone was expecting new features for Windows 7 when Windows 9 is in debates. As long as Microsoft will release security updates and patches for Windows 7 until 2020, then everything is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.