Microsoft will jump kernel from 6.4 to 10, and the program compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
hi
i have read that microsoft will upgrade w10 and will jump to kernel v10 from 6.4

my big concern will be the program compatibility

i have bought several program and i use freeware

the point is that some program don't release lifetime updagrade/update

in short , when w10 will have the new kernel , there will be for sure issues with many antirvirus and several programs like for example sony vegas or adobe or other many software
about adobe they have the subscription and they release nightly built version , 2017 is so buggy
but many other program don't release free update ,in short to upgrade a program i have to pay

now with microsoft , what should i have to do?
pay for all my programs ,for their updates

what do you think ?
is there a preview insider built with kernerl 10? i don't know if there is a preview version to test it
with w10 , microsoft doesn't care about the software compatibility
thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913
A

antreas

Microsoft is letting software developers know ahead of time of a major change in the kernel version number for Windows 10, which will soon jump from the current 6.4 to 10.0. This change could affect older Windows applications running on the OS.

"Developers preparing for Windows 10 should note that the Windows NT value in the UA string will change from 6.4 to 10.0 with the new release. If you have code that depends on the version number, we advise that you update to allow for the new value."

source: here

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
Microsoft is letting software developers know ahead of time of a major change in the kernel version number for Windows 10, which will soon jump from the current 6.4 to 10.0. This change could affect older Windows applications running on the OS.

"Developers preparing for Windows 10 should note that the Windows NT value in the UA string will change from 6.4 to 10.0 with the new release. If you have code that depends on the version number, we advise that you update to allow for the new value."
hi
what does it mean ?
i have to update all my programs?
in this case , i go back to w7 or 8.1
if we are talking about freeware is not a problem , but about pay software they are not cheap
thanks

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
Nov 22, 2014 at 8:37 am EST

the blog post is few years back you sure window 10 still on 6.4?
i read on neowin , i got it now , it's old blog , i found it out now
but how can we know what kernel does it use w10 ?
in short it's a old blog , without any reliability, only old speculation
thanks

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
hi
mine is this , so the kernel should be 10.0.14393.576

CHYZaOJ.png

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
Thank you for the picture. :) i was lazy to upload one.
:):)

I subscrive to a site to get news , and today i got an email with "the new version of windows will have kernel 10 " and the link of the article
:eek::eek: after reading your post i realized it 's outdatedo_O

immediately un subscrived to this site:)
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.