Microsoft's Hexadite acquisition to improve Windows Defender AI

Will an improved Windows Defender beat other Antivirus?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A lot of Israeli security companies are on top of their game.

Before the trash-talkers arrive, an excerpt from source:

Microsoft said that Hexadite will be folded into work it does to develop security solutions for commercial Windows 10 customers, specifically with Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection (WDATP). “With Hexadite, WDATP will include endpoint security automated remediation, while continuing the incredible growth in activations of WDATP, which now protects almost 2 million devices,” Microsoft notes.​

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
As long as they rely on signatures only, not adding any dynamic line of defense (best would be a strong, auto-deciding behaviour blocker with user whitelisting option) and maybe a built-in outbound firewall, I think classical all-in-one suites will still beat WD, offering more comprehensive protection. Especially, they have some sort of BB / HIPS, stronger or weaker, not to be discussed here, always to be taken with a grain of salt as every sample behaves different.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I believe so. Microsoft is doing great job with improvements of their internal security mechanisms (UAC, SS, MAPS, WDAG) and in fall update they plan to implement EMET into system so there is a lot going on on this field and I want to believe that on one day all 3rd party AV's become obsolete... :rolleyes:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Of course, antivirus vendors fear Microsoft in this context, but in reality it is in the game more of a competitive market. Even today, many users do not have full awareness of being victim of malware and attacks.
Wondows Defender already built into Windows and always more powerful, could have a great effect for the ecosystem.
But the important thing is that the users take the habit of protecting themselves.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
It also sounds like something they would integrate into Windows Defender ATP. I don't really see how regular home users would benefit from security integration.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think Windows Defender has already been reached a limit since at the end of the day, it must consider the competition between other products.

So everything is more on the improvements in reactive and minimal proactive detection.

All news that will came from WD is not a surprise anymore.

Reactions: brod56 and DeepWeb

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I think Windows Defender has already been reached a limit since at the end of the day, it must consider the competition between other products.

So everything is more on the improvements in reactive and minimal proactive detection.

This is an interesting theory to be honest! :) Maybe Microsoft is not interested in making an big fancy antivirus. Maybe they just to set an industry standard and once 3rd party antiviruses stop using hooks for everything, WD will evolve more into a background process that complements other security products.

But, seeing how aggressive Microsoft is, I think their current goal is to put an end to the reputation that their platform has malware. At this speed, and their aggressive build schedule, they will have won the war against 99% of malware by the end of next year.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017

I agree. If WD integrates a strong BB component, then companies like Kaspersky would cry even more because a free product would offer the same as their overpriced suite.
I believe MS has the power to do this, but doesn't because of legal reasons (competition). That's why WD will never be a top AV, even though it is already decent.

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
I agree. If WD integrates a strong BB component, then companies like Kaspersky would cry even more because a free product would offer the same as their overpriced suite.
I believe MS has the power to do this, but doesn't because of legal reasons (competition). That's why WD will never be a top AV, even though it is already decent.
Windows can do this, Apple can do this. so why cant MS integrate good protection?

Reactions: simmerskool
D

Deleted member 178

WD already beat any other AVs !

(not in term of detection, but in number of installation) hahahahaha :p

Reactions: simmerskool
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.