Microsoft's Outlook and Hotmail spam filters are currently broken

Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
If you're noticing an increased amount of spam email in your Outlook or Hotmail account this morning, you're not alone. Microsoft's spam filters for its Outlook.com email service have been experiencing issues over the past 12 hours, and the company is attempting to fix the problems. "Some users may be receiving excessive spam mail," reads a warning on Microsoft's Outlook.com service status site.

Microsoft says it is currently implementing two fixes to solve the issue. "One will provide short term relief preventing spam reaching your inbox," reveals Microsoft. "The second will be a longer term fix which should stop spam reaching our infrastructure." Microsoft is currently in the middle of migrating its Outlook.com backend over to its Office 365 service, but it's not clear if this migration is related to today's spam issues. A quick scan of Twitter suggests the problem is relatively widespread, with many messaging the official Outlook Twitter account and not receiving a reply. We'll update you accordingly once Microsoft has implemented its fixes.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Their spam filters are terrible. I have to block at least a dozen junk mail addresses daily, even though they are placed within the Spam folder

I am considering Gmailify as an option.

Should I expect over 60 junk mail today??

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I have also noticed a big change in the amount of spam i have been getting and having to set many new rules a day. :(

Reactions: Jrs30

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
My account seems to be unaffected, all spam are sorted to the spam folder and the rest are let through

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
I guess i'm fortunate the only spam i get is from my wife lol :D
I must admit spam is getting worse even in forums spam is an issue!

Reactions: frogboy and Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
My account seems to be unaffected, all spam are sorted to the spam folder and the rest are let through
I use the Exclusive settings, but the amount of received junk is too much. Microsoft uses these Fighting Junk Email but how effective are they really?

I would like to see improvements made to prevent spam from ever reaching the Junk folder.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I haven't notice that some legitimate mails are put into Junk Folder, nor obvious Junk appeared in my Inbox. I am not worried about the amount of Junk.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well spams are everywhere, its already up to the email provider how to maintain it.

So basically the user should decide well if the service is satisfied or not as spam can be a changer for anyone.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.