Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Over the weekend Microsoft’s Outlook e-mail service was reportedly the victim of a cyber attack in China, likely perpetrated by Chinese authorities themselves.

Local users started to see connection issues when trying to call up Microsoft’s e-mail service, both on the web and via smartphone apps. According to GreatFire.org the attack was likely perpetrated on behalf of China’s Cyberspace Administration.

According to this same report the attackers likely used a “man-in-the-middle” (MITM) attack, which can hijack communications, monitor them or block them completely. One supposed reason for using this type of attack is that end-users are likely to be less suspicious and blame simple network errors instead of the authorities.

The attack on Outlook servers and Microsoft came less than a month after Chinese authorities banned Google’s Gmail inside the country. Critics and advocates consider this to be the latest step in the government’s attempts to further isolate the Chinese people from the worldwide internet and instead confine them to the Great Firewall.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

tallorder

Level 6
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Petrovic, I am curious. I can access my Hotmail account through Yahoo, or Google Chrome, if I type it in, but can no longer pull it up by clicking the link I have at my Start up menu link. It went down there about a month ago. I finally got back in through Yahoo.

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.