Millions of PSN users have their personal information comprimised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
After days and days of the Playstation Network being offline, Sony has announced it has taken the service down indefinitely. The cause is a lot more severe than previously thought: PSN has been systematically attacked, and personal information of all users has been stolen, possibly including credit card data. Sony is asking PSN users to keep close tabs on their credit card account statements. This has turned from a rather amusing slap on the wrist for Sony into a massive and truly epic security fail that could have tremendous consequences for millions and millions of people the world over.

After the downtime Sony's PSN has experienced, it goes from bad to worst for both Sony and it's users.
Read more about this here.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I've read that it's also affecting some game development, as they aren't able to test the online aspects of their games with the network down.

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
HeffeD said:
I've read that it's also affecting some game development, as they aren't able to test the online aspects of their games with the network down.

Sony is also being sued over the data breach, as I've just learned. So they're pretty much losing money faster then they can make. Also, sorry for posting this as a reply, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-tech/post/the-circuit-sony-sued-over-breach-apple-may-have-bought-icloudcom-ebay-earnings/2011/03/08/AF1uqF5E_blog.html

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
endejan said:
Sony is also being sued over the data breach, as I've just learned.

Not surprising... I would imagine some game developers are likely to take legal action as well, because the outage is also now costing them money.

I also wouldn't be surprised if some developers decide it's not worth developing for PS anymore.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
This is a very sad time for my favorite brand (I prob have about 12 Sony products here in my room). Luckily i haven't purchased anything from any of the Sony services so it will have only been my email address etc leaked.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
It goes without saying though to still change your Passwords. I don't think I even needed to say that :)

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
I don't think they will get anywhere with that lawsuit. Sony has kept the credit card info encrypted in a seperate database, not much else they can do. (and its not like the XBL hasn't had some glorious moments as well)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
MetalShaun said:
(I prob have about 12 Sony products here in my room)

I'm a bit of a Sony guy myself. While I don't own a Playstation 3, I've owned a 1 and 2, and all of my A/V gear is Sony. I've always thought they build a quality product, and you can't beat Sony TV's for picture quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.