Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Mitsubishi Electric, one of the world's leading manufacturers of large-scale electrical and HVAC systems has admitted to fraudulently conducting quality assurance tests on its transformers—for decades.

Thousands of such improperly tested transformers were then shipped both within Japan and overseas. And it turns out, this isn't the first time Mitsubishi has been caught cheating either. Tokyo-based electronics giant, Mitsubishi Electric has revealed flaws in its quality assurance (QA) testing procedures, including falsifying numbers in the test reports for transformers. With its $34 billion revenue and 138,000 employees worldwide, Mitsubishi Electric is a leader in producing automotive equipment, air conditioning systems, heavy-duty transformers, and semiconductors.

In a series of statements released this April, the company announced the results of an investigation led by an external committee brought on board in July 2021 to dive deeper into quality control malpractices at Mitsubishi Electric. "Several inspections of transformers rated 22KV 2MVA or above manufactured at Mitsubishi Electric's Transmission & Distribution Systems Center in Ako, Hyogo Prefecture, did not fully comply with customer-requested testing standards that required compliance with the Japan Electrotechnical Committee (JEC), International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), or Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) standards," reveal the committee's findings. In some cases, the committee confirmed, improper statements had been entered in inspection reports. Additionally, several unit designs deviated from what had been proposed within internal design guidelines or agreed upon with customers.

For example, in "Temperature Rise Tests," the 22kV 2MVA transformer units very well exceeded the maximum temperature specified by the regulatory bodies, but Mitsubishi Electric's test reports fraudulently portrayed that the units posed no overheating risk. Similarly, dielectric tests—that measure an equipment's ability to withstand high voltages (e.g. during surge events and spikes), were conducted at voltages lower than what is required by various industry standards. A total of 8,363 Mitsubishi Electric transformers rated 22kV 2MVA or above have been shipped to customers between 1982 and March 2022. Of these, 3,384—a little over 40%, had been inadequately tested. Out of these improperly tested units, 1,589 were delivered within Japan and 1,795 overseas.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Mitsubishi Motors has also made false fuel economy reports in the past.
"You did it again? "
I have that impression in Japan.

My desktop display for over 10 years is Mitsubishi. It was a good product, but Mitsubishi handed over the technology to other companies because it became difficult to manage.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I wonder their Mitsubishi Starmex air conditioners are affected? Just changed mine to Mitsubishi Starmex

:oops:
I think it will have little impact on household appliances.
For reference, only Mitsubishi's website for Japan has an apology and a response link for our inadequate quality cases.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.