Modern CPUs Likely Permanently Haunted by Spectre Security Flaws

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
And here is an article from today (23 Feb).

Does not sound good.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Spectre and whatever should be the least of your worries as even software patches are ok. Think about what specs you need, the quality of the build, upgradability and your budget and go with that. Getting paranoid about things that you can't control is a waste of time. If you need help selecting a laptop pm me here or you know where.

Halellujah! They won't take my old i3 laptop until they pry it from my cold, dead hands! :LOL: (Just to paraphrase Charlton Heston)

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
This is exactly why I switched to an ARM Chromebook specifically. I don't think there will be a cure for Specter unless they completely take speculative execution and hyperthreading out of the CPU design.
i can't find arm or x86 chromeboxes any where. they usually have celerons.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Researchers mostly try to make good products, products that help people. But, there are big business men who pressurize them.
Making profit is not bad but becoming greedy is the real problem.

L

Local Host

This affects both ARM and Linux for those who asked, so no using ARM won't save you.

AMD CPUs can also be exploited but have way less holes than Intel CPUs, Intel is hard at work to create hardware mitigations without affecting performance.

No point in being scared and backing off, just use whatever you want, this types of exploits won't be used on every day malware.

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
Yeah Ryzen is the only safe CPU for now for x86-64. But, the pricing is outrageous here.
yes. ryzens seem to cost $36 less but are 11% slower.

the ryzens are less available. just my opinion.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
yes. ryzens seem to cost INR 2,559 less but are 11% slower.

the ryzens are less available. just my opinion.
Well, with Spectre patch applied on Intel the impact is worse and a Ryzen mobile easily and single handedly beats 6700HQ

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.